·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Re: Natural Balance Dry Food Recall

oh my god.....thats all I can manage to say. :eek: What food ISN"T being recalled these days!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I am thinking a good way to be totally safe is to buy 3-4 months of food in advance and then rotate thru it always buying more so that you are feeding the food 3 months behind everyone else. Then if their is a recall you won't have fed any of the affected food yet. Of course who has enough money and space to buy and store 3-4 months of food for their dogs? But if you could it would be a good safety measure. Also buying food at a national chain and with one of their rewards cards will often get you an E-mail if you have bought something that was recalled.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

Oh no! This scared me. Elias and my 4 cats are on Natural Balance. Elias is on the duck and potato recipe and the cats have a 1/2 and 1/2 of the regular and reduced calorie.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

Here is the info from that link, it's not a formal recall.
Itchmo has confirmed an email from Natural Balance that they are removing two products from sale:

* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

These products do not contain wheat gluten. No deaths or serious illnesses have been reported and no recall warning has been issued. The warning applies only to products sold in the last week, according to Natural Balance.

Please know that at this time we are removing this product from the shelves, as we have had some phone calls indicating gastric upset after eating this formula. At this time, we are unsure if this could just be a particular batch problem, or simply customers switching diets too fast. However, in the meantime while we are looking further into this matter, we are not recommending to feed this formula, and are suggesting to feed our Potato and Duck or Sweet Potato and Fish Dry Dog Formula.

(Thanks Joan)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

I found this info on the Natural Balance web site
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

I got an email from our Weim Rescue here from the weekend that notified us of three dogs that were ill from this food, one of which died. Nutro was notified, but as of that time, their website wasn't reporting anything.

They did note in the email that the food contained no wheat gluten, so it had to be a different issue.

just an fyi.....

·
Registered
440 Posts

mich said:
I got an email from our Weim Rescue here from the weekend that notified us of three dogs that were ill from this food, one of which died. Nutro was notified, but as of that time, their website wasn't reporting anything.

They did note in the email that the food contained no wheat gluten, so it had to be a different issue.

just an fyi.....
Nutro makes Natural CHOICE- which is probably why nothing is being reported on the NUTRO website about Natural BALANCE.

The Natural Balace website has recently been updated...
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

Just FYI...

·
Registered
12,928 Posts

Probably nothing wrong with the food; it's probably a panic because of the recent recalls and coincedental that these animals are having problems... just a guess.

·
Registered
703 Posts

I was feeding the vension formula up until about 1 month ago with no problems at all, actually i liked it, but made his skin flaky, so i switched.

I called the company, they think they know what it is butthey are running lab tests right now. Basically, they told me, any bag that says BEST IF USED BY SEPTEMBER 28, 2008 or a date after that is bad. If the bag says anything earlier, there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Still I would hold of feeding the venison and rice no matter what the date for now...Menu foods said the same thing originally all our products before Dec 6 th are not affected then 3 weeks into the recall they expanded their recall to November 8th. So I would hold off feeding it until they figure out exactly what was going on.. Better safe than sorry. I am pretty sure a company wouldn't put out a recall notice to soon.

www.naturalbalanceinc.com

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
703 Posts

Just called my wife, my bag I had left in the pantry was June 2008, so that bag was fine - i purchased it about 6 weeks ago.

the guy told me the effects would be seen with 1-3 days of feeding it.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Thank You, Thank You for the head's up on this!!!! This is the food that I feed. Reba has vomited twice in the past week. I thought it was probably due to eating too fast!!! What is really worrying me is that she has been acting a little 'off' lately and today has not wanted to jump up on anything. Getting off now and calling the vet to see if I can get in tonight for a kidney test.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I just got home from taking my dog to the vet. He had eaten this food and vomited within approximately 8 hours of eating it. He started drinking excessively and was lethargic so we decided to take him in today. He has to stay at the vet for 2 days on IV because he has kidney problems.

He has been eating this food for about 1 year now and I just purchased the new bag last week. The date was Sept. 28, 2008 so yes this recall is real. We are at a wait and see point with our dog since Natural Balance has no updates as to the reason for recall at this time. Please be carefull what lot you have if you are continuing to feed your dog this food. I just hope we caught it in time for our beloved Cody.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well they have confimed that there was Melamine in their product. They believe that it was in the Rice Protein that they add to the food. They have changed their recall to any of the venison dog foods canned and bagged. They have decided to recall ALL the date codes so it doesn't matter when it was made. I am wondering if this Rice Protein came from the same supplier as the wheat gluten? Natural Balance is a rather small producer so I am wondering what other companies may have gotten rice protein with Melamine in it? I am also wondering if any of the other grain protiens might be contaminated? I also wonder if any of this has made it into the Human food supply? At least one batch of the wheat gluten was "Human grade" but ended up in the dog food. I think perhaps I should start reading labels of my own food and excluding things with grain additives (wheat gluten, rice protein..etc) for the time being. Perhaps just whole grains for a while to be on the safe side. Perhaps grain free dog food might be a good choice for a while too, until they figure out exactly where the Melamine is coming from.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

amculazzo said:
I just got home from taking my dog to the vet. He had eaten this food and vomited within approximately 8 hours of eating it. He started drinking excessively and was lethargic so we decided to take him in today. He has to stay at the vet for 2 days on IV because he has kidney problems.

He has been eating this food for about 1 year now and I just purchased the new bag last week. The date was Sept. 28, 2008 so yes this recall is real. We are at a wait and see point with our dog since Natural Balance has no updates as to the reason for recall at this time. Please be carefull what lot you have if you are continuing to feed your dog this food. I just hope we caught it in time for our beloved Cody.
Oh no...and very sorry about Cody. Sending good thoughts and prayers that he makes a full and complete recovery...

·
Registered
868 Posts

It looks like we lucked out on the dog food; probably purchased before the rice protein change.

Reba's blood work was perfect according to the message left by her vet. Halle's blood work was perfect except for an electrolyte value that was 240 instead of in the 10 to 200 range. He said not to worry, but I will call him tomorrow to see what he thinks could have caused that.

My real question is "Why does Reba act like she hurts?" The past 2 days I have been cooking rice and chicken or rice and hamburger for the dogs. Reba's poop today looks black? Would that be because of the fresh, but cooked, hamburger?

Now I have to figure out what to feed. The dogs have done really well on the NB Venison and Rice.

This has been the most hectic week!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

I am thinking a good way to be totally safe is to buy 3-4 months of food in advance and then rotate thru it always buying more so that you are feeding the food 3 months behind everyone else. Then if their is a recall you won't have fed any of the affected food yet. Of course who has enough money and space to buy and store 3-4 months of food for their dogs?
That's a good idea and a real possibility for us. Our Kirkland C&R only costs about $16/40 lbs at Costco (it's made by Diamond and similar to "Diamond Naturals"). Puff eats about 2.5 cups total a day so a bag lasts us about 3 months. It lasts so long I have to rebag it into 10 one gallon Ziplock freezer bags as soon as opening the paper bag to keep the kibble from going stale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts