Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reports: Natasha Richardson in critical condition
March 17, 2009, 6:10 AM EST
MONTREAL (AP) -- British actress Natasha Richardson is in critical condition in a Montreal hospital after being severely injured in a skiing accident in Quebec, according to published reports.

People.com and IrishCentral.com reported that the Tony award-winning actress and wife of Liam Neeson suffered a head injury Monday and is in a Montreal hospital.

People.com said Richardson was initially taken to a hospital near the luxury Mont Tremblant ski resort in Quebec, and was later transferred to the Montreal hospital.

A family member confirmed Richardson had had a skiing accident.

"We know that she has had an accident but we really do not know any more details," said Kika Markham, who is married to Richardson's uncle, Corin Redgrave. "We are very concerned."

Richardson, 45, is the elder daughter of Oscar-winning actress Vanessa Redgrave and the late director Tony Richardson, and belongs to a British acting dynasty.

Her maternal grandparents were the actors Michael Redgrave and Rachel Kempson, and her uncle Corin and aunt Lynne Redgrave are also both actors. Sister Joely Richardson is also an actress, best known for starring in TV series "Nip/Tuck."

Richardson's films include "Gothic," "A Month in the Country," "Nell" — in which she appeared with future husband Liam Neeson — "The Parent Trap" and "Maid in Manhattan."

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The New York Post, citing sources close to Richardson, reported that she was brain dead. TMZ.com said the 45-year-old actress had experienced severe brain swelling.

Richardson, who is married to actor Liam Neeson, was first reported in serious condition with a head injury by Irishcentral.com.

"We know that she has had an accident but we really do not know any more details," said Kika Markham, who is married to Richardson's uncle, Corin Redgrave. "We are very concerned."

Natasha Richardson with her mother,British actress Vanessa Redgrave, and sister, Joely Richardson as they arrive for the opening of the "Typically British" exhibition at Pompidou Center in Paris. Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson in Febuary 1994.

How sad :(

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
The Post article is pretty weird. They're saying that they are transferring a brain dead woman back to New York so that her family can say goodbye before they pull the plug. It doesn't seem very likely since it would obviously be easier to fly the family to her than the other way around.

I hope it's not true. I've always really liked her and her husband.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Natasha Richardson was reported to be "fine at first" after she hit her head in a skiing accident, but the 45-year-old actress' health began to deteriorate within an hour.

Now sources close to the Tony award-winning actress say she is brain dead and will be taken off life support. Richardson was transported back to New York City yesterday from Canada and is now at Lenox Hill Hospital.

“I can only speculate, but it sounds like something we call the ‘talk and die’ syndrome,” said Dr. Steven Flanagan, director of Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine at New York University’s Langone Medical Center.

“What this implies is that someone hits their head and they are seemingly OK initially," he told FOXNews.com. "But then they get a rapid collection of blood — usually called epidural hemorrhage — and that means bleeding between the skull and the brain.”

Richardson was reportedly in serious condition with a head injury after falling on a beginner's trail Monday during a ski lesson at the Mont Tremblant ski resort in Quebec, Canada.

:(:(:(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
This is unbelievable to me. She fell on a bunny slope while learning to ski. Supposedly got right up and was laughing and joking around about it. Now they're saying she's on life support. So sad. I hope and pray she makes it. Her boys are only 12 and 13. :(

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
It's been big news here, since her husband was here in Toronto at the time and she was not far away in Quebec.

But every story has been a little different. My husband heard she ran into a tree. I haven't read that in any of the reports I've seen. But I guess a radio station picked that one up.

The family is apparently releasing a statement at some point today. I hope it will prove to be an over reaction by the media and that she will recover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts