Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Best Friend and I are going to Nashville in week, we have a lot of things planned but want to know some good places to eat!!!!!
Any Suggestions!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I can help! :)

Give me an idea of what you're looking for...? Any preferences or dislikes, casual or formal, price range...? What area will you be staying in, what are your plans while here?

One place I always recommend to visitors is Rotier's. It is a little hole-in-the-wall, but the food is not to be beaten for down-home cooking. It's been here for decades, and the turnover there is nada - The same people work there every time I go in through the years.

If you want a taste of "true" Nashville, both in terms of food and hospitality, this is your place. Locals know it and love it. It's not a place you would find on your own without the help of a local ;) It is ultra-casual and inexpensive. I would recommend it for lunch. They consistently win "Best Cheesburger," but they have my vote for "Best Fried Chicken Livers." Oh man!

G

·
AngusFangus said:
I can help! :)

Give me an idea of what you're looking for...? Any preferences or dislikes, casual or formal, price range...? What area will you be staying in, what are your plans while here?

One place I always recommend to visitors is Rotier's. It is a little hole-in-the-wall, but the food is not to be beaten for down-home cooking. It's been here for decades, and the turnover there is nada - The same people work there every time I go in through the years.

If you want a taste of "true" Nashville, both in terms of food and hospitality, this is your place. Locals know it and love it. It's not a place you would find on your own without the help of a local ;) It is ultra-casual and inexpensive. I would recommend it for lunch. They consistently win "Best Cheesburger," but they have my vote for "Best Fried Chicken Livers." Oh man!
Dangit...I wish I'd have known about a place like that when I lived in Memphis and was going to Nashville taking all the out-of-town relatives on the "country music" tours...that sounds YUMMO!!! I'll remember for next time I go home...

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It is GOOD! Good good good! It's totally a dive, but absolutely LOADED with character. ;)

If you ever get back here, it's around 25th and Church, I think, very near Centennial Park.

G

·
AngusFangus said:
It is GOOD! Good good good! It's totally a dive, but absolutely LOADED with character. ;)

If you ever get back here, it's around 25th and Church, I think, very near Centennial Park.
I don't mind dives at all...I lived in Memphis. ;D Oops that was out loud. Seriously though, some of the best food I've ever eaten (especially in the South) came in places that were scary looking but sooo incredibly good.

I'm trying to remember where else I've eaten in Nashville. I think we were in Franklin actually. Dangit.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh thank you for the suggestions - we want Southern Food - not like we are not from the South already being Texas Girls - Everyone is worried we will not come back!!!!!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
OK! Good southern food places. All of these are in the downtown area or close, and are casual dining.

Rotiers (Lunch, truly a Nashville tradition, best country cooking in town, friendly wait staff, ultra-casual.)

Monell's (Served family-style. Call ahead and try to go on fried chicken day. This used to be Friday, and I'm pretty sure Sunday lunch has fried chicken too. I have never had better fried chicken than here. Great lunch place.)

Jack's BBQ (Right downtown on Broadway, near the touristy area. Great BBQ. A good place for a quick lunch).

Some of my favorites for a nice dinner are:

Margo's (East Nashville. GREAT chef. This is my top choice for special occasions. It's not terribly dressy - business casual or the like would be fine.)

Sunset Grill (Hillsboro Village. It has had great staying power for a Nashville restaurant. It's a little dressier than Margo's.)

One other suggestion: If you do the downtown area, be sure to go check out our art museum, the Frist Center for the Arts. :) It is our original post office reincarnated as an art museum. The lobby is just gorgeous with all the marble and high ceilings and ornately carved wood. And, they have a nice little cafe that would be another good place to eat lunch. If it's nice out, you can eat outdoors in the courtyard. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't forget the Boundry (a see and be seen Happy Hour), South Street (another BarBQ place) and Germantown Cafe. These are all locally owned restaurants.

And that new place...the chef from New Orleans opened...Chappy's.

And you can't forget The Lovelace...great biscuits and gravy. It's a bit out of the way tho'.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, right sweetie! Yes, the Boundry is very good and definitely the young hip place to be seen. :) Loveless Cafe IS a ways out, but if you're looking for country food, it would be a nice field trip. Another Nashville tradition. I am not sure about hours. They are most famous for their breakfasts, and I'm pretty sure they serve lunch. I've heard there is ALWAYS a wait!

Chappy's is probably the newest in town. Supposed to be really good.

I thought South Street was seafood? ??? Like crab legs and stuff?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH yall ROCK!!!!!!
we are going to the WhiteTrash Cafe also - hahahahahah!
;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts