Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how things went with the chicken, and how Tud is doing, hoping for improvements.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Chicken was moist and delicious. Enough left over to treat the dogs and make chicken salad. Tonight it's BLTs and tomato soup.

Tud still in ICU, on the ventilator. Respiratory rate still too high to wean him off and his heart is the major concern at this point. But he is not sedated any longer and his eyes are alert, trying to send messages. That is so hard... to get inside his head to figure out what he's thinking. So we keep it pretty simple. I babble on about the dogs and the house and such mundane things that he can relate to without being bored with the inanities and I try to steer clear of those things I feel would evoke too great an emotional response.

It was good to have our friend here for a couple of days. It was clear that Tudor was, I don't know, relieved? glad? comforted? relaxed? to see him by his bed.

Small laugh - our friend asked him if he was pissed off: the slightest nod of the head and blazing eyes was the answer and it was glorious to see.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
That was a good sign Nance, I have faith in him pulling through.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
glad he is able to communicate even in the smallest way! chicken salad sounds sooooooooo good right now!! belly rubs to the pooches!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was good to have our friend here for a couple of days. It was clear that Tudor was, I don't know, relieved? glad? comforted? relaxed? to see him by his bed.

Small laugh - our friend asked him if he was pissed off: the slightest nod of the head and blazing eyes was the answer and it was glorious to see.
Good deal! :D That is a very positive thing. If he can get pissed off enough to fight what's going on in his body, he can heal. I am still praying for a miracle, Nance. Still by your side.

I'm so glad that there is recognition there, and that Tud enjoyed having your friend visit him. Can Tud write at all, or is he still too weak for that?

So, now you are a chef. ;) Next thing we know, you'll be returning to France to study at le Cordon Bleu. You go, girl!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
So glad to hear a happy update :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Thanks for the update...hope the breathing rate goes down and they can get him off the respirator. It is good he is communicating.

You are both in my thoughts a lot and always in my prayers. Tell your friend I said bless him for coming. So many people take the easy way and avoid the tough situations. I am really glad he is there to support you.

Tell Tud I am glad he is doing better and we are all pulling for him.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
So glad your friend could be a comfort to him and you. Sounds like Chez Nance will open next week. You're becoming some kind of a cook. Still by your side. Have a blessed Easter.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
So glad to read this update Nance. Continued thoughts are coming your way.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
That's good news Nancy. Baby steps.

And I'm also glad you enjoyed your chicken. It would have been a shame to put in all that effort and then not enjoy it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
There's all kinds of ways to communicate with people on ventilators who can't speak - does he have a trach now? That makes it a little easier because they can mouth words. You could try using a communication board, yes and no stuff, etc. Also, I would tell him what happened to him, and how he came to be on the ventilator. Be honest, and truthful, but don't hit him over the head with it. Look him in the eyes , tell him you all will think he gets better, but if he doesn't , you won't let him on it forever - you can see that I am a believer in telling patients whats going on with them, but you know him best, and should have a feeling for what how much he wants to know and how much to tell him. But he already knows that he's not doing too well, and probably just wants to know what his chances are and if poeple think he can really get better, and that you will be by his side. (((((((HUGS))))))))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts