Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere it was best to say your dogs name before you gave him a command because you want your dog to know you are addressing him. Yesterday I was watching the show and the trainer said you shouldn't use the name when giving a command because you don't want the dog to associate its name with anything negative. Which to you think is right?
Olie

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I am not sure which is right but I noticed recently that he listens MUCH better when I use his name first. Otherwise he'll look at me as if to say "who me??" or ignore me ;) Or I end up saying his name AFTER.

Personally (and I am certainly NOT a trainer) I believe it makes sense to say the name first, to get their attention. Especially if you are in conversation with someone else - I mean if you are talking to a friend then say "sit" how are they to know you mean you want THEM to sit or are saying the word sit?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I use the dogs name when it preceeds a moving command, such as heel, come, front etc. For stationary commands, I just use the command. In the hunt test world, most people only use the dogs name as a command to fetch. (i.e. FIDO! means Fido fetch! The actual word fetch is not used).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
obsidian said:
Why would a command be negative?
I think the trainer meant when you are telling them to stop doing something they aren't supposed to be doing.
Olie

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I do the same as Belles mom and dweck...

If I'm "correcting", either with "uh-uh!" or with something like leave it/off I don't use his name first.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I try to use her name first, just before giving the command. Sometimes, if it takes more than once or I'm alarmed about something she's rolling in, just the command "LEAVE IT!!" might be given. ;D

D

·
0 Posts
I use their names when I direct them but more often I use hand signals with my dogs. Anyone else prefer non-verbal commands? Of course you have to have the dog at a place where they pay pretty close attention to you and clearly there will be situations where you have to use verbal --- but dogs learn so much better with visual cues in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I'm in the process of weaning myself from using Murray's name with commands. An OTCH trainer told me that by using Murray's name with every command it loses it's impact then when I really need his attention (like in the show ring or in a dangerous situation) I don't have any other options in my bag of tricks. So now in practice I don't ever use his name, then when we get in the ring I'll throw the name in and hopefully that will get his undivided attention. I was so worried the first time I tried not using his name (in practice) but it really was no issue. He knew I was talking to him.

deezeldog said:
Anyone else prefer non-verbal commands? ...but dogs learn so much better with visual cues in my opinion.
I think that's pretty normal for most dogs. They are much better at reading body cues (not only hands but shoulders, hips, feet), facial expressions, etc. If you think about how dogs communicate with each other it is usually with body cues, not vocally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts