Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for nail polish/top coat? I for the life of me cannot get a manicure to last more than 2 days. The polish starts lifting up and peeling within 24 hours. I wash my hands a lot with the dogs, but still need to keep polish on my nails to protect them. I do it myself...I'm not talking about keeping a fancy french manicure or anything...just a couple of coats of polish to keep my nails from breaking and splitting.

Currently I am using Sally Hansen Maxi Growth as a base coat...a Maybelline quick dry color...and then Out the Door quick dry top coat to keep the dog fur from setting in.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I paint my nails about once a year because I can't keep the polish on for a significant amount of time and it makes me angry. When I do, I use the Revlon stuff that comes packaged together in a bubble-pack - the color and the quick-dry top coat. I can't remember what it's called though. You're limited in the color choices, but it lasts longer than anything else I've tried. (Which granted, isn't much.)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh my specialty - actually i had the same problem, until i bought the opi brand. I use the base coat and top coat. and for when you do not have color use the strengthening nail polish. i also polish my nails with a buffer... does make a difference on my nails.
I always worried that buffing my nails would wear them down and make them weaker. They split and peel all the time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I always worried that buffing my nails would wear them down and make them weaker. They split and peel all the time.
I don't buff them to a point where im sanding down.. its the one that has four different sides. I buff to a point where i stop the peeling then buff shine it. The peeling was what was making my nails very weak. i was using Essie for a while but it just wasnt the best out there. not only are the Opi base and top coats good but the colors stay on pretty long, i say about 5 days... and im talking about dark browns, reds, blues, etc.. The brush on those are also very good compared to the essie ones...

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
OPI top coat is the best. It is the only one that I can put on and have my manicure last for a week. Their strengthening base coat is excellent also. Their nail polish is better than most I've tried. Anything else and I have to take off my polish in 2 or 3 days.
As far as buffing, you don't want to buff more than once every other week if you have thin nails.
My nails are susceptible to peeling and breaking, unless I use the OPI. Last week I was visiting a salon on business, and the manicurist wanted to know who did my nails. When I told her that I did them myself, she was amazed. She said that she was sure that they were acrylic nails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.