Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning I was taking the trash to the trash dumpster; walk through the garage, look at where it should be, and no dumpster. ****! Go back inside.

Me: Babe, where's the dumpster?
DH: Out on the cement pad where it always is.
Me: I just looked, it isn't there.
DH: Yes it is, I just dumped the ash bucket in it an hour ago.
Me: *Confused, because ashes from the woodburner are supposed to be dumped out in the fire pit* Why would you do that? Now everytime I open it they are going to blow in my face. :nono:
DH: I was being lazy.
Me: Then you can take the trash out.

5 minutes later . . .

DH calls me outside to show me something. He leads me outside to the cement pad where the dumpster should be, and there is a mound of blackened, green plastic with a metal rod hardened into the center.

Me: What the . . .
DH: This is why I always say to put ashes in the fire pit!

This was a good-sized trash dumpster, and it was totally gone (except a little bit of hardened plastic and the axel from the wheels. It was so funny listening to him call the trash company this morning explaining why he needed a new dumpster delivered.
:flame:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Oops.

Wait, he was being lazy so he put the ash bucket contents in there and then he tells you that he always says to put the ashes in the ash pit? Is he trying to forget that he caused the problem or was he being funny?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops.

Wait, he was being lazy so he put the ash bucket contents in there and then he tells you that he always says to put the ashes in the ash pit? Is he trying to forget that he caused the problem or was he being funny?
He was trying to be funny.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh my goodness! You are lucky the house didn't catch on fire.
It is quite a distance from the house, but it was very close to my potting shed, and that could have easily caught on fire. The ashes had been outside in the bucket for 12+ hours before he dumped them. He didn't dream they would still be hot.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK, I laughed out loud reading this, but then again it's scary!!! My hubby dumps the ashes in my gardens.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was very dangerous, but since no one saw it we have no idea how big the fire was. It was very windy yesterday which makes it even scarier, he won't make that mistake again. It was funny to me because it burned so completely, and no one noticed. The dumpster was chest high and probably 3' x 3' (I don't know how much stuff was in it). We recycle cans, glass, etc. so there was nothing left except that little pile of melted plastic and the axel. Good thing our neighbors are far enough away that they didn't see it . . . EMBARRASSING!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Wow, that is crazy. Our big trashcans have warnings all over them not to put hot ashes in...guess that's why! I'd never have believed it could totally melt down to the ground like that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts