Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning about 9:45, there was a "boom" in the house. Dogs jumped up, a few "cats meow" things fell off the wall. I checked in the house (hotwater heater blow up?), looked outside (crazy neighbor blow something up?) Coulnd't see anything immediete. Didn't feel like an earthquake (they're more rumbly around here) Called SU at work about 5 miles away - they felt it, so the whole surrounding area felt it. I'm still trying to find out what it was. Saw the end of a newsbreak on TV about a mine roof collapse in WV - but I would think that would be to far away for such a short, noticible effect. Update later.......

Update below

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Sonic boom from something flying overhead?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
That's pretty odd! Obviously you didn't lose power so it wasn't anything electrical related.. maybe a gas leak? We had one of those before and it made a HUGE sound and caused an almost ringing sound for hours.. then lit up the sky. I thought for sure it was aliens. The sky was greenish!

Whatever it is, I hope it's nothing serious!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I was going to say a sonic boom too. We get them from time to time with the pilots flying here...although I don't think they're supposed to! lol

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE!!! It turned out to be an earthquake after all! A 3.1 in Oakhill, about 10 miles away from us. SU said they felt it a lot more and buildings shook etc in RioGrande.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm glad it was just a small one hopefully it didn't cause much damage. We had one last year they are not very common around here (although we are close to a big fault) so it freaked me out pretty good.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
That was a pretty authoritative *boom* from a 3.1er to knock things off your walls! Earthquakes are... eerie... creepy...

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out it was a 3.4 - I wasn't sure when I posted it, and underestimated rather than overestimate. I went to the website for the place that keeps track of this stuff (can't remember the exact name right now) and posted about it where they ask people to, and also posted on the local news update site. First time I've really done anything like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts