Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with this?

My left thumb pad has been hurting for almost a week. It feels kind of numb, like it's not getting good circulation, and kind of throbby. My shoulders and arms were hurting really bad earlier in the week, but that seems to be going away. Now I am just left with a sore thumb.

I don't remember doing anything to it.

???

I am baffled.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Is it the fatty part just below your thumb towards your hand? (well, you don't have a fatty part, but you know what I mean). Anyway, that's where my arthritis is. Some days it hurts so bad I actually scream when I open a door. Other days I totally forget it's there. Weather plays a big part in it for me.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I have slight nerve damage in one thumb that causes symptoms exactly like what you're describing. Do you use that thumb extensively when you're working on the computer?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandy, it's like the pad of my thumb. I think I know what you're describing...yours is like on your palm, right?

Nathan, I really don't use that thumb that much...it's my left thumb. The only thing I can think of is, I use that hand to hold the leash. Maybe it got wrapped in the leash and one of the dogs pulled too hard.

OH WAIT! You know, I just remembered. This is the same thumb I hurt a few weeks ago in class with Simon. This is actually the second time this has happened! I was in class with him, bent over to pick up a bar on a jump, and when I put it down I was like OW, my thumb hurts! It hurt really bad, like a spider bite or something. I thought WTH, was there something on that jump that bit me? It hurt all the way home, and then it was better the next day.

I must have damaged the nerve, like yours Nathan. What do you do for a damaged nerve? Does it eventually regenerate and the pain goes away? ??? This stinks! It's all throbby and achy!

I'm such a whiner tonight, aren't I? :D

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Mine was from pressing my thumb against the thumb ring of a tuba (!!!) for many years. It eventually gets better on its own, but it's very slow. 15 years later, I still have occasional numbness when it gets pressed against something for an extended period (like long bike rides). I never sought treatment for it, so I can't give you any advice there.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know you played the tuba! ;D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have been getting that too, and I believe it has something to do with the wrist and the nerve, mine has extended to the elbow. There are two nerves that run up the forearm and one causes a condition called tennis elbow, the other is golfers elbow........and you don't have to be in those sports to get the condition.
I also forgot to add Carpal tunnel........

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Mine was from pressing my thumb against the thumb ring of a tuba (!!!) for many years. It eventually gets better on its own, but it's very slow. 15 years later, I still have occasional numbness when it gets pressed against something for an extended period (like long bike rides). I never sought treatment for it, so I can't give you any advice there.
Bwaahhh!!! You played the tuba? Dork.

*slides trombone under bed*

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
bahahah

I "carried" the trombone in high sschool band class
yup - never played - I was a good marcher but never wanted to play
I wanted to play drum
but since they needed someone who could march
they stuck me on the end of the line
and I faked playing the trombone till a drum spot was avail.
I even went to a competition at Giants stadium lip syncing the trombone

/end of hijack

Nick said:
*slides trombone under bed*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts