Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old little guy who used to run up to anyone new and be very friendly with everyone is now suddenly afraid of anyone he does not know. I can't think that anything has happened. Is this normal? Will it pass? I don't want a fearful dog... thx

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I would look into puppy kindergarden if at all possible.

otherwise, get him out there meeting people but try not to "force" him to go say hello. So have friends or family walk by and gently hold out a treat (preferably they are lower to the ground in a crouch) and talk in a happy voice to the puppy, encourage him to come to them. IF he is getting "worse" by the extra attention, have them ignore him until he comes over to investigate and then gently treat. or have people come over and do this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - yes he is in puppy class and goes two days to "doggie daycare" and many walks to the park. Is great with other dogs - just people. I think I will take the advice to just not force it and hopefully he will become more comfortable around people again.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
by not force it I don't mean ignore the issue, you want to address the issue by having other people try, just not "try = run up to puppy and force themselves on puppy" but more "try = sit quietly with treat on their hand and wait for puppy" type of action. ignoring it all together may lead to it getting worse

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi, my almost 9 month old lab Paisley went through this phase when she was about 4 months old. She was very cautious and it passed within a month or so. I think it was her realizing us as "her" people and just being more cautious of others. She is very social, but I believe this was just a stage she was going through. This might be the same with your puppy.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I would worry that something could have happened in doggy daycare also. It happens every day to children so why would animals be different? It is definitely something I would check out, jmo...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts