Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was my book club's June selection. We held our meeting after seeing the movie this afternoon.

BRING KLEENEX!!!

It is quite far removed from the book, and honestly, I cried more reading the book than at the movie. They changed the ending, and left out some key character development elements, but it was a very good movie. The entire theatre was in tears.

Definitely recommend, but I liked the book more, which is often the case for me.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
not sure I could read or see it
the story is about a girl concieved to donate a kidney (? or other organ) to her older sister
when she is old enough she refuses to have the surgery saying it's her body (despite adoring her sister) - has a lawyer -the whole shebang..

I have no clue what happens but it sounds heart wrenching - one of the sisters is on medium and was in Little Miss Sunshine

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The parents have a son & a daughter. Daughter at 2 is found to have a very rare form of leukemia, and only cell (stem cells, cord blood) from an exact match will save her. So they genetically engineer a new baby, the right egg with re right sperm, and voila...donor. Throughout her life, they use her as a donor for her sick sister. They take cord blood in infancy, stem cells at age 5, inject her with hormones to trick her body into producing more certain cells so they can donate to her sister. Bone marrow transplant, and finally...the kidney is needed, Kate (sick older sister) will die without a transplant. Anna (younger sister) files for medical emancipation before the operation so she can be in charge of her own body. The reason behind her suing for emancipation is not what you expect it to be either.

Cannot say more without spoiling it, but it s a heart wrenching story, and the book takes a totally unexpected turn that the film does not. Highly recommend reading the book first.

I can also recommend highly our July selection, The Time Traveler's Wife.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I'd like to see this for my birthday but don't know if I can convince hubby to see a chick flick, even though he does enjoy most of them.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I thought about getting the book but it did not have very good reviews. Now that I know someone read it and liked it, I may be more inclined to read it.

I like to read the books before seeing the movie also - I was really disappointed by Demons and Angels - they changed a ton of things in the book.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I LOVED the book, and while I didn't "like" the ending, it was integral to the story - can't believe they changed it!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i just saw the movie.. i was SHOCKED they changed the ending.. can they do that? Anyway.. i cried and cried.. awful.. i hate crying in public.

Tomorrow I start The Time Traveller's Wife.. which i've had for months now.. the movie for that is coming out soon, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts