Just Labradors banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm wondering how Yukon is doing? We are experiencing the same thing with our now 11 month old puppy. He was diagnosed with TVD in October. The breeder knows and was appropriately upset. We have him on a diuretic but otherwise he is leading a normal life. We don't take him on major outings, but he does run on the beach or in the woods with other dogs most days. Our cardiologist told us that there are two places that will do surgery on this. One in CA and one in CO. The surgery is risky and expensive and the outcome is not guaranteed so we decided against it. We have decided to give him the best life we can for however long he has. Last night when I tucked my 12 year old in to bed he was crying because he doesn't want our pup to die. It's just so sad. I'm interested in how things will progress from here. I'd just like to prepare myself. Yesterday he vomited up both meals right after eating. There was lots of mucus in the vomit and the food wasn't digested. This is probably a result of eating too quickly, but when something like this happens I immediately wonder if it's a symptom of TVD. I hope Yukon is doing ok!
Hello! What has it been for your dog with TVD? We just found out our 6 month old is a 5 out of 6 in severity. His left atrium is 2xs the size as the right side. He is perfectly fine otherwise. You wouldn't know he is sick. I'm just trying to understand how some live long while others don't. Please let me know your experience. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I also have a male named Bear with TVD. It's refreshing to read that there are dogs living normally.
there's a University of NC TVD study also. They don't need blood anymore, they are looking for a mouth swab. I believe that you then get a DNA profile for your dog, also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I also have a male named Bear with TVD. It's refreshing to read that there are dogs living normally.
there's a University of NC TVD study also. They don't need blood anymore, they are looking for a mouth swab. I believe that you then get a DNA profile for your dog, also.
How old is Bear? Is his moderate,severe or mild?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How old is Bear? Is his moderate,severe or mild?
Hi Heather,
He is 2. They said he is a 70- I take that to mean 70%. The Dr also said 80 was severe. Is your dog age 2 also? We found it because he was about to stud and they gave him an echocardiogram. Quite shocking. We then went to Cornell Cardiologist who was the 2nd Dr to confirm. 🥲

how is your dog doing? Have you enrolled in Univ of NC study? It’s just a cheek swab now. 👍

Court

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Heather,
He is 2. They said he is a 70- I take that to mean 70%. The Dr also said 80 was severe. Is your dog age 2 also? We found it because he was about to stud and they gave him an echocardiogram. Quite shocking. We then went to Cornell Cardiologist who was the 2nd Dr to confirm. 🥲

how is your dog doing? Have you enrolled in Univ of NC study? It’s just a cheek swab now. 👍

Court
Hello!
Brody is 7 months. He had a heart murmur when we got him from breeder at 8 weeks. They said it would resolve but didn't. Had echo done. Moderate to severe was diagnosed. He has no symptoms. Just a crazy sounding heart. Sometimes he pants for no reason. Does Bear have symptoms? Great to talk to someone about this! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello!
Brody is 7 months. He had a heart murmur when we got him from breeder at 8 weeks. They said it would resolve but didn't. Had echo done. Moderate to severe was diagnosed. He has no symptoms. Just a crazy sounding heart. Sometimes he pants for no reason. Does Bear have symptoms? Great to talk to someone about this! Thanks!
I think you are spot on with the extra panting. I definitely look back and noticed a kind of wheezing thing when he was running in the back yard. He also kneads a blanket like a cat. Now I think it’s a calming method he uses. Also looking back, he didn’t like to be touched when he was little. I remember saying- I wish he would just sit on my lap. The cardiologist told me to keep him living normally- no restrictions, because the heart is a muscle. I think if the dogs ever go into congestive heart failure, then the restrictions start. This diagnosis is so new, we haven’t gotten through the dog food that I have on hand, but the next bag will be low salt. He’s on Vetmedin, a Diuretic and a blood pressure pill. The cardiologist also said fish oil, but I haven’t ordered that yet. I am trying to get a date to neuter him. Sigh, I really would have liked 8 or 10 years without any medical problems…..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you are spot on with the extra panting. I definitely look back and noticed a kind of wheezing thing when he was running in the back yard. He also kneads a blanket like a cat. Now I think it’s a calming method he uses. Also looking back, he didn’t like to be touched when he was little. I remember saying- I wish he would just sit on my lap. The cardiologist told me to keep him living normally- no restrictions, because the heart is a muscle. I think if the dogs ever go into congestive heart failure, then the restrictions start. This diagnosis is so new, we haven’t gotten through the dog food that I have on hand, but the next bag will be low salt. He’s on Vetmedin, a Diuretic and a blood pressure pill. The cardiologist also said fish oil, but I haven’t ordered that yet. I am trying to get a date to neuter him. Sigh, I really would have liked 8 or 10 years without any medical problems…..
I'm still using old dogfood and waiting for it to run out. We have to make sure it's grain dog food. He also has the fish oil already! My other lab benefits from it too! No meds until symptoms. Our cardiologist recommended not to fix him. He might not handle the procedure. Since our female is fixed we are good. Brody loves to cuddle. He actually doesn't care if there is no room he just jumps right up on you. I'll keep you posted on his health moving forward. Hope your boy lives a long and happy life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm still using old dogfood and waiting for it to run out. We have to make sure it's grain dog food. He also has the fish oil already! My other lab benefits from it too! No meds until symptoms. Our cardiologist recommended not to fix him. He might not handle the procedure. Since our female is fixed we are good. Brody loves to cuddle. He actually doesn't care if there is no room he just jumps right up on you. I'll keep you posted on his health moving forward. Hope your boy lives a long and happy life.
Yes, please keep me updated. A vet co-owns Bear with me and he feels that the surgery is safe. The Cardiologist suggested a specific anesthesia. I’ll get you that info if you decide to fix Brody. I can’t deal with the marking inside the house. 🤣

21 - 28 of 28 Posts