Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weighed Spot yesterday and he is 59 lbs! I am worried that he grows too fast and is a bit too heavy for his age.

He gets 2 cups of kibbles a day plus treats (carrots, apples). I honestly don't think he is 'fat', but I will try taking a picture of him and post it later.

I know labs come in various sizes. But I am just curious how much your pub weighed at that age?

ETA - I took these pictures tonight. Do you think Spot is overweight?

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/4140632/14550700/248274797.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/4140632/14550700/248274816.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/4140632/14550700/248274813.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/4140632/14550700/248274808.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/4140632/14550700/248274804.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Re: My pub is 6 months old and weighs 59 lbs!

Sonya was 45#, ~19.25" at the withers at 6mos. But that's a girl for you. Spot is probably not out of the realm at 59 for a male. Need to look at the parents too. Sonya's mom is 60# & 21.5" tall, dad (in ideal working weight, MH) was ~70#, 23.5" tall. They showed him at 80# though. -Anne

·
Registered
236 Posts

I think Riley was around 65 at that age. His parents are big though...90 and 75. Now, at just under 9 months, he weighs in the low 70s.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Bandit is 7 mos old and he weighs 66.4 lbs.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

Rookie is 10.5 weeks and 25lbs.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Maverick is 7 years and 70 pounds.

Gabby is 10 months (female), and 68 pounds.

You want to keep them on the light side- heavier equals all sorts of problems- joint, skeletal, etc.

Please do post a picture :)

·
Registered
142 Posts

Daisy is 10 months and only about 45 pounds... she's my little mini-lab!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
It is hard to say from those pictures. You need one from above ideally. Can you feel his ribs? if you can feel them easily he is probably ok.

I don't think 59lbs at 6 months is unusual. You may find that he has done the bulk of his growing now and he slows down. Either that or he might just be a big boy.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
He kinda appears a little chunky...but those pictures are hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
You have a very nice looking boy there!! He looks like he's at a fine weight to me. What food are feeding that he's only eating 2 cups a day??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try taking a picture of him from above and post it later.

We feed Spot Kirkland C&R puppy formula. He gets a cup of kibbles each for breakfast and dinner, plus an apple for lunch and other treats. He gets a larger variety of foods over the weekends though, such as raw meaty (beef or pork) bones, cooked chicken, veggies, canned food, eggs, yogurts, etc.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
What a cute pup! I personally would not mind him loosing 3-5 pounds. With his joints and bones still growing and forming, I'd go for a bit leaner.

·
Registered
236 Posts
He is a bit heavier looking than Riley was at that age, but that might be ok. My vet said Riley was unusually lean compared to most labs he sees. I don't know if that means he really is lean or that the vet sees so many overweight dogs... ??? Anyway, if he were MY pup, I'd probably try to let him get a bit more exercise such as free play or running around in the yard. I guess I'd like to see him a little leaner. It seems like you wouldn't want to cut back his food much more. That really doesn't seem like a whole lot, so maybe letting him be a bit more active would do the trick. Also, the "extras" you give him could be putting weight on as well. While they are healthy and probably great supplements to his diet, you will need to keep that in mind when you measure his kibble and subtract some to account for the extras.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dog is a 6 months old and is 70lbs. I brought him in for a limp and was told he was big for his breed. I was told he was only allowed 2 1/2 cups a day split into two meals. I also had to change over for puppy to adult food. I'm glad you posted this, it make me feel better to know there is another dog like mine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dog is a 6 months old and is 70lbs. I brought him in for a limp and was told he was big for his breed. I was told he was only allowed 2 1/2 cups a day split into two meals. I also had to change over for puppy to adult food. I'm glad you posted this, it make me feel better to know there is another dog like mine.
70 pounds seems pretty big for 6 months, but someone who has more experience might know better. Do you happen to know how tall he is? In dogs, there is a big difference between 59 and 70 pounds. Did the vet seem to think the limp was related to the extra weight? Again, picture can show everyone a lot more than words usually can. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wow, my Ruger is a little thing.. we had him at the vets the other day and he weighed 66#. OH, he is 11 mos old.....

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
gabbys mom said:
Maverick is 7 years and 70 pounds.

Gabby is 10 months (female), and 68 pounds.

You want to keep them on the light side- heavier equals all sorts of problems- joint, skeletal, etc.

Please do post a picture :)
I agree. Ernie was over 60lbs at a year old and suffers serious H.D at the age of 3. Not saying it was just his weight, but it has been a factor. I wish his previous owners had been more aware and he wouldn't be suffering today.
He is now 5 and weights about 55lbs. I think he is a little thin, but need this for his hips.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ks02 said:
70 pounds seems pretty big for 6 months, but someone who has more experience might know better. Do you happen to know how tall he is? In dogs, there is a big difference between 59 and 70 pounds. Did the vet seem to think the limp was related to the extra weight? Again, picture can show everyone a lot more than words usually can. :)
here are some pic of Rocco from above. Like I said he isnt fat, but does his weight is 70lbs last time I checked. That was about 3 weeks ago.

He just had a bath so his fur doesnt look so good. He was semi wet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Petey is 10 months and 50 pounds, but he's a lab mix, and we don't know what he's mixed with! (looks all lab, though).

I can tell he's not going to be doing TOO much more growing, I don't expect him to be more than 60, 65 at full maturity.

My sister's labs, however, are 3 years old (male) 119 pounds, and 4 years old (female) and 109 pounds. However, they're grossly overweight : (

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Remington will be four months old on May 3rd. He weighed 40.5 lbs last week at his vet check up. He is currently eating about four cups of kibble a day. He is NOT fat but very muscled for a little tyke. In fact, compared to his siblings he looks very lean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts