Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night around 6, I noticed Sam licking himself but figured he was just cleaning. Then around 9 we had hot dogs and I didn't finish mine so I figured I would split it between Sam and Bodie. I took it to the kitchen to wash the mustard off, and called the dogs down from upstairs. Nobody came, which was very weird. I went to take the hot dog upstairs, and found Sam half way down, unwilling to move. I gave him a little hot dog so he followed me upstairs, where I noticed blood on the carpet where he'd been laying. Neil checked him over and found a puncture wound very close to where his testicles used to be. I felt like I was going to faint. Neil took him to the e-vet, and they told us we could have him put under and have a drain put in, or have them clean it out and loosely close it with a couple of staples. The hole was about the size of a pencil, so we chose the second option, and will keep an eye out for infection. All we can figure is that we had a huge hibiscus that Bodie ate down to about 18" tall. It's near a fence where Sam likes to run. We've left the hibiscus there, hoping it would grow back. We think somehow Sam was running around and came down on it. :( We're taking it out today.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Awww... That'd be quite a vicious sacktap, if he had a sack....

Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh no, Sam! You poor baby. :( Good thing you guys noticed it, Bren!
I hope it heals quickly....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I hope the poor guy is on antibiotics, looks infected.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope the poor guy is on antibiotics, looks infected.
He is on antibiotics for 2 weeks and painkillers for five days. I don't think it's infected because the vet said it had happened within a few hours of when we brought him in. We're keeping a close eye on it though.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i does not look infected to me. it's normal for wounds to be red. if the red starts spreading and oozing; then you have a problem. trust me; i've had a TON of experience with puncture wounds.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Poor Sam!! How's he doing, Brenda?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Ouch, that hurt just reading the title. Sending good thoughts for Sam. I hope it heals quickly with no infection. Ouch, again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts