Just Labradors banner

My poor old Twiggy

496 views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  allthatjazz 
#1 ·
My tft Twiggy is really slowing down. A few months back we started her on regular senior dog food because she stopped eating her kd/diet. Well, she decided that the senior food was delish and no problems. Until this week. Now all of a sudden, she once again has decided that she isn't too crazy about her food. Now I'll try to find another type she does like. We decided to feed her what she would eat rather than the kd/diet because of her age and let's face it, almost 17 yo is pretty old for a dog. She's becoming increasingly wobbly, and often gets lost under the kitchen table or chairs. When I let her outside to potty, she often wanders out the the back fence in the corner, bumping into one side then the other and back and forth over and over. I run out and rescue her and bring her inside. I stay outside with her so she isn't unattended, but I like her to get some fresh air, and a little exercise where she doesn't get trapped by the legs of furniture. It's so hard to watch this once vibrant, noisy, energetic dog become increasingly senile. She still gets excited for her treats and looks forward to her morning treat when I leave for work. I guess when the small pleasures start to go, we will have to make a decision. I keep hoping she'll go in her sleep but we all know that more often than not, we end up having to do the right thing. She has been through so much, from glaucoma surgery to remove one eye, to the other just shriveling up, loss of hearing, being bitten by her sister Boo, this poor little thing deserves an easy exit when it's time. Anyway, I just needed to get this out. My heart breaks for this little old lady, she is the best dog. :(

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.