Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know the dog I had for many years pasted away a few months ago. My dad doesnt like being without a dog. And our last dog was his buddy. So now my parents are looking for another dog. I am looking at dogs from the Humane Society. She said she wanted a Yorki or a great dane. Two dogs that are nothing alike. They are funny.

What kind of dog do you think they should have?

They have a HUGE backyard with a pond (man made with that plastic stuff from Lowes) it will be a indoor dog. But maybe one that isnt as hyper at a lab, but not too small. Some type of dog that can keep my dad company and cuddle with my mom at night. A dog that would get along with three indoor cats and of course get a long with Tater when he goes for visits. Any ideas? I dont know of any breeders here in Jacksonville, except the one I got Tater from. But I am not sure they want a lab.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Sounds kind of like what I'm looking for... a dog that maybe doesn't have quite the exercise needs of a lab... but it still active.

GL to them :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm sure they could find a perfect dog at the local shelters or breed rescues.
Ditto that.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
definitely a shelter dog. they make the greatest pets because they sense that they were rescued and will be extremely loyal for that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We love our Springer Spaniel, and she loves to cuddle. She isn't as hyper as our lab but I don't know if that is the way all Springers are. She loves to lay around and begs to go back to bed on the weekends with my husband, she will lay on the couch all day and cuddle with you. Maybe this breed could be an option.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
Aren't boxers crazy-hyper? I thought I'd heard that. maybe not. Cutie pie though!
Depends on breeding and training. I've met a few that were really horrible due to bad training and no socialization, but most of them I've met have been great. My dad's parents had boxers when he was a baby and they were very good with children and also protective of them.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I was younger my first dog, was a cocker spaniel. She was the sweetest dog and my mom has always said that was the best dog we had. I also had a show dog type long hair. I think the name started with a "L". He slept with me at night, my mom loved that dog too. She said she wont decide on a dog until she finds one she really wants. She is kind of picky. But knowing my dad and how loving he is, he will love any dog.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
kaisdad said:
eastcoastmom said:
Aren't boxers crazy-hyper? I thought I'd heard that. maybe not. Cutie pie though!
Depends on breeding and training. I've met a few that were really horrible due to bad training and no socialization, but most of them I've met have been great. My dad's parents had boxers when he was a baby and they were very good with children and also protective of them.
I've heard that they are great family dogs also, but that they require as much exercise as a lab (for the record, thusfar, Angus is pretty low maintenance, as far as exercise goes. he's got the mellowest temperament. feel very fortunate) My friend has a boxer who is so sweet and plays well wih Angus. I like Nova Scotia Duck Tollers, but you won't find one in a shelter. They have great personalities!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I agree...have them go along to their local shelter. Most shelters will let you fill in a questionnaire to match you with dogs that suit your needs.

A Boxer may not be the best choice unless they are pretty active. They tend to be headstrong and while I don't want to generalize, the males in particular can be iffy with other dogs.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
That one is a cute little thing. I love the face! LOL.

Good luck in their search.

Do they want an older dog or a puppy?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trickster said:
They tend to be headstrong and while I don't want to generalize, the males in particular can be iffy with other dogs.
I have heard this before too. We were looking at boxers before we got Tater. After reading some things on them we went with the lab. Two breeders I called (they werent breeders after I talked to them) wouldnt let me come on site to see the parents. I thought that was odd. When we went to see Tater litter the mom and dad were on site and we got to play with them and the other litter that he had. It made me feel better about the situation.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aim said:
That one is a cute little thing. I love the face! LOL.

Good luck in their search.

Do they want an older dog or a puppy?
I am going to say a puppy, they just lost a dog I think they would want to spend lots of time with a new dog. But I am sure if they ran across a older dog and thought he would be a perfect fit they would take him too.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Breeder or rescue? I am guessing rescue as they have no specific breed in mind.

When I was younger my first dog, was a cocker spaniel.
There are plenty of Cocker's in rescues. An older adult (4+ years) sounds as though it might suit them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts