Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D hello everyone, im Frankie and i just got Hegan two days ago, and here are his first pics that i took. hes 3 months old ;)

i love forums since i tend to get addicted :laugh: and learn a lot from others experiences.

i have a couple of concerns with Hegan:
-at times he tends to breath really fast w/o excersicing is this normal??

-his first owner got him use to eating only twice a day(morning&night) and hes in good shape, should i continue this routine or should i try adding the third meal(lunch) what do you guys suggest?

-last, his first owner had 6 small kids and an older lab(2yrs old) that Hegan was around 24/7, im not able to stick around all day, im away less then half of the day, and he begins to cry when i leave him, now my ? is, would it take a long time for him to adapt to this lifestyle? what can i do to help him adapt to this way of living quicker? (im leaving him in my room, pretty big, with toys and water, whenever im out. should i put him in a crate while im out instead?)

thanks in advance for your help.

im really happy with him and the last thing in my mind is letting him go. :no: idk what i would do if i had to give him back if he doesnt adapt to his new home :'( :scared:

·
Registered
692 Posts
OOOOOOH, he's so adorable!!!!!

He will adjust, don't worry. He's a little shocked at having his world completely changed. I would suggest crating him, that's their safe place and "den".

The breathing/panting might be nervousness. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from members soon.

I just want to hug him!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bbbmom said:
OOOOOOH, he's so adorable!!!!!

He will adjust, don't worry. He's a little shocked at having his world completely changed. I would suggest crating him, that's their safe place and "den".

The breathing/panting might be nervousness. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from members soon.

I just want to hug him!!!!
thanks a lot for your help ;)
and yes thats what i was thinking about the crate, i have to go shopping for one now :confused: but uhmmm should i get a large crate since hes going to be a big one or would that give him too much room while hes a pup? thanks

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hi there, Hegan is a cutie!! :D

I agree with the above poster, puppies breathe pretty fast and he's probably pretty nervous so that doesn't help.

I think eating twice a day is just fine, especially if that's what he's used to. Baloo ate twice a day as a pup with no problems. ;)

DEFINITELY need a crate, it will be your very best friend. Buy a large size one that comes with a divider (many do) that way you can adjust it as he grows.

Here's a good crate training article:
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-cratetrain.htm

Try to relax and have fun with him, they're babies for such a short time. He will adjust to his new home in time and you'll wonder what you ever did without him. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some crates (i.e. Midwest Lifestages Crates) come with a divider panel so that you can purchase the bigger crate but just section off as much room as they need as a pup. We have an 11 week old and this seems to be working! Good luck!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Welcome Frankie & Hegan!

You can get a larger crate that has a divider in it for when he is smaller (a pup). I think it is the Midwest Lifestages crate.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Definitely get a crate. If you get one of the plastic, airline-type, you can always put something like a milk crate in it to take up some room until the pup grows. Crate him any time you are not able to be with him and watching him. This is for his safety, as well as that of shoes, purses, furniture, remotes, cell phones ... ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
You are going to get some GREAT ADVICE from the folks here. There are some really nice good knowledable people in this forum.

Congrats on the little guy. He sure is cute.

I would suggest sleeping in a t-shirt you don't mind loosing and then putting it in the crate. This way he will have your smell to help him while your gone at first.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
dipete said:
He is adorable, good luck with this sweet guy! I'm sure he will adjust well to his new life!
agree! Puppy time can be tough, especially if this is your little guys second home already in such a short space of time. He'll be fine, the more relaxed you are the more easily he'll slip into the new routine also. What a cutie!

G

·
Welcome, and you have a beautiful lab :happy: He will adjust and fall in love with you and his new surroundings.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
He's a cutie. The two of you should have a lot of fun together.

I would get a crate also. You are about to enter a 6-9 month stage of destruction, if he follows the pattern. Some never outgrow it. You are going to have to have a place that he is safe, and the rest of whatever you have is safe. And they do learn to love their place. At two years and crate free, HK still goes to the spot where her crate used to be if I am not at home.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You sure have a good looking puppy!!! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with him.

He's just nervous and insecure now. We just got a new lab a couple of weeks ago. He is 14 months old. He did that rapid pant (stress pant) for a couple of days. THen as he began to feel more secure and "at home," the stress pant became less and less until it was gone.

It won't be long and he'll feel part of the household routines and well-adjusted.

Just maintain the lead "in control" position with him. THat will make him feel more secure also.

Have fun and enjoy that cute puppy! :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The crate is a must for raising a Lab puppy. I would add to the advice so far to find and enrol in a puppy obedience class, The sooner the better. I recommend a group class as this will also help socialize your pup. It is important to follow up each class with two daily reinforcement sessions lasting 10 to 15 minutes, no more. Believe me, you MUST train you Lab in basic obedience or your Lab will train you, and the consequences of the latter are not pretty.
:laugh:
You need to also puppy proof your house as best you can by placing all objects he can get his mouth around out of reach. They can be out of sight for a second and then you look down and they will have your favorite (fill in the blank) in their mouth or will be nearby eating it.
The good news is you only have to constantly monitor their behavior for the first three or four years, after that they settle down a bit. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the great advice :D

Im posting a thread in Puppy Trainning about the crate, since it falls under the category, so if you mastered crate trainning pls look for my thread.

thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.