Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( We've had Holly for 3 weeks now, she's a chocolate lab full of energy. I try to take her out every hour just to tire her out! I've never had a "puppy", I got Cash our yellow lab when he was 1 1/2 years old.
We also have had Jade for 3 weeks and she will be 1 this month. She has never been socialized and is so shy and timid. It's awful.

Anyway, back to Holly, she bites, and bites, she's got more energy than the Engergizer Bunny!!! I have a head cold and don't feel well, my body is achey and I'm cold. I've been dealing w/ Holly all day and I'm just near tears. I try to praise her often, but most of the time it's "No Holly, no biting." "No Holly, don't do that." :'(
I have 2 teens home so they have tried to help me out, but return to school tomorrow so they are getting ready for bed.

I cannot wait for Holly to go to bed too!
I even napped when she napped....please tell me it gets better. She's gonna be 3 months old....and I call her Holy Terror instead of Holly right now. :'(

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
it does get better. try making her some frozen kongs....stuffing treats and goodies inside the kong and freezing it...gives her something to do and chew on. have you tried bitter apple? it helped a little when my girl was young...she was a little terror as well, but she is 5 now and the love of my life. hang in there. i promise it will get better. check out the puppy and training section here for more tips!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
We thought Toby was an alligator cross when we first got him. He bit, he chewed, he drew blood on both of us and we still have scars. When he was about 4 months old I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life bringing him home. Now (3 years later, though of course I realized sooner), I know that the biggest mistake I could have ever made would have been to give up on him.

It does get better. It gets so much better that you'll never believe the love of your life was ever a little hellion you once wanted to kill. But it does take time. Hang in there, it's worth it - and you can always vent here - we've been there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I guess not feeling good has given me the blues. I'm not even sure I can handle the 11 month old Jade, I really cannot afford a behaviorist, and nearest one is over an hour away...one way. The two of the combined is enough to drive me to tears.

And now...Holly is humping her teddy bear friend. :'(

·
Registered
126 Posts
awww hang in there. Little Miss Holly will get better when she gets a little older. My guy was the same when he was a puppy and is now the best dog ever. Things will improve....don't give up. Just some days especially when you are sick and need rest seem worse than others. ((((hugs))) to you and Holly.

Julia

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Feeling bad definitely does not help. Take lots of pictures of Holly while she's small and adorable, they will make you feel better when you look at how cute she is. (I swear that being cute is the survival mechanism of labs, otherwise they'd most all be killed for their badness!)

Good luck. It's worth it, belive me. Though it can be tough. Don't give up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please hang in there. I have raised puppies for Leader Dogs and I know you will survive the puppy blues. Have alot of chew toys - Kongs with peanut butter, stuffed toys, nylabones, etc. Don't be afraid to use the crate for time out - my girls love their crate and would fall asleep when placed there. I am not sure if you are using a crate, but I is a real life saver. My dogs that are 1 1/2, 2, and 13 years old still sleep in a crate and love it. Please don't get discouraged, you will do great!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As all the other forum members allready said, just hang in, and 'things' are going to better .. As i read youre story, you just have a 100% normal Labrador in you're house ;)

And as TobysTrix said, make a lot of pictures of here, so if she growup, and she's old you always have the memories of a having a small Lab around the house ;)

Suc6!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi will soon be 3yrs old and I so remember what you are going through! The funny thing is just the other day we were talking to a friend about this and DH says "Sammi never did that" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: How soon we forget!! Hang in there it will get better! I was just wondering, are you using a crate? It is so helpful and IMO necessary for giving her and you a brake and to help with training! :happy:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Getting two new dogs at the same time, one a puppy and the other very young as well, was a mistake. :( But, it can be managed. As everyone else said, patience and time will help. Use crates to put both pups when you cannot keep an eye on them. Redirect Holly to what she CAN chew. When she starts biting, yelp like a puppy, then stand up and ignore her for a minute. That is how the other dogs would treat her. Tie washcloths into a knot, wet and freze them, When she is teething, chewing on these will soothe her sore gums.

With Jade, when she acts fearful, do not comfort her or pay her any attention. That is telling her she is right to be fearful. Instead, ignore her as well and just go about whatever you are doing so she realizes there is nothing to be afraid of. Make sure she has access to a crate at all times. That is her den, her safe place.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I always said when Sally was a puppy, our arms and hands looked like we had been through a meat grinder! :hurt: There just isn't anything left to say that hasn't been said already.

Give her plenty of chew toys. Keep trying different things until you find something she really, really likes.
Keep telling her no big....yelping. Holding Sally's muzzle shut for about 2 seconds helped, but it didn't with our first lab.
Make sure she gets plenty of time to run around outside and retrieve and tire herself out.
Use the crate. Give her time-outs in the crate when you have reached your limit.
Kongs are your friend!

She will grow out of it. Hang in there! We all feel your pain. ;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Hang in there...and be persistent! "NO BITES!" and then turn your back on her--completely ignoring her. I also like the idea of using a crate for 'time-out'. It really sounds like she could use one!

Good luck and know that we have all been there. Feel better, too!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
As everyone has already said, it will get better. I remember bringing Bogey home and he was about 3 months old, and I remember thinking "oh my gosh, what have I done?" I couldnt take it. He was so bitey. I had scabs all over my arms from him, all the time!

I started to do obedience work with him, it seemed to keep his mind busy. Then at 9 months we did 2 obedience classes back to back (we had so much fun) and we bonded so much over those weeks too!

Now hes almost 2 yrs, and I really cant imagine my life with out him! Hang in there, she will turn around!

·
Registered
454 Posts
We would have had Kira for about a month I guess when I started thinking I had the doggy equivalent of post-partum depression. It was awful, I felt like I couldn't do anything right with her, desperately needed a break and felt completely inadequate and overwhelmed. She was my first puppy, and despite all my reading I really wasn't prepared for how much work she would be. She utterly destroyed our couch and had a good go at our dining chairs too. Nothing that I tried was working, bitter apple, chili powder, vaseline, she cared not a jot and would chew it anyway, including our hands. I think the key is repetition, and an understanding that it will probably take longer than you expect. At 5, Kira is a wonderful, loving and gentle dog. Even with my 15 month old's daughter's toys all over the floor, she does not chew them (although she will occasionally steal one when we have visitors and she wants to bring them a present). It may seem insurmountable now, but it won't last. Labs do grow up, eventually. Most of them, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm not even sure I can handle the 11 month old Jade,
Why do you have an 11 month old and a 3 month old, if you couldn't handle the 11 month old? As far as socialization goes, she must have that. Take her for walks where she'll see other people and dogs. Don't you have at least a Petsmart or something near you? Sign up for a class with her (both of them, but separately), that will help a great deal, both with socialization and obedience.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.