Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when does one know they need a new roof? ours doesn't leak, his didn't seem to have shingles lifting and what not, and it was installed in 1996 - is that old for a roof?

Should I be freaking out and getting a new roof just because my neighbour did? HTF do you know you need a new roof?

(sidebar - there were some rather almost naked mens and boys out there doing the roof today which was a bit of a bonus, although they think I'm psycho because I had to yell out the window at them that I was going to work in 10 minutes and they'd have to move their tarp off my driveway/lawn and their van from the end of my driveway so I could leave)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
We just replaced our roof. It was almost 20 years old. The shingles weren't missing or lifting but they were dry and starting to curl up around the edges. In AZ you can figure around 15 to 18 years if you have no damage by hail. You figure our roofs deal with 115F weather.

I would say at 13 years and if you have no leaks you probably are still good.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Karina- I actually know the answer to this!!! Our roof was leaking. We just had a guy come repair it. He said ours should be replaced in the next five years, even though they are 20 year shingles due to our climate. He says 15years is all he'd let a roof go where we live.

You can have someone come and look at it and caulk any problem shingles or anything.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We had our replaced about 18 months ago. We are in South FL. Here, a regular shingle roof lasts no more than 15 years. We replaced our roof because we had several leaks.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i have 20 year shingles that are soon to be replaced at almost 15 years. i do have a few leaks, but it is also starting to curl from the heat. i could get the leaks repaired and stretch it a year or two but might as well bite the bullet and get r done.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
our shingles only seem to last if we have no hurricanes come our way. with over 100 mph of constant wind parts always fly off. i know we've had to replace them in 2003 and 2005.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sorry dude, start saving the moolah. (or sell, like me!!)
Or marry a carpenter and get it done for just the price of materials. :D Paul gets an average of about $5,000 to do a roof around here. I can't imagine having to cough up that much dough!!!!!! :eek:

Karina, how old is your roof? If it's not leaking and there's no visible damage then I'm sure it's fine. Most shingles are 20 or 30 year these days, but like someone else said, it depends on your climate.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ewwwwwwww, not green for Halloween!!!! :eek: What were they thinking?!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
no.. it's .. ffs!

Those flower boxes were supposed to be demo'd last year.. i'll get to them this year.. hopefully.. Anyone have a crowbar i can borrow?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
We are missing a few shingles and I know a new roof will be in our future.

I see green shingled roofs all the time. New house just built on our road has a green roof.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no.. it's .. ffs!

Those flower boxes were supposed to be demo'd last year.. i'll get to them this year.. hopefully.. Anyone have a crowbar i can borrow?

Yep. Goose **** green. Sorry Kel.

As for the flowerboxes, leave 'em til I come up to help with your deck. We'll get loaded and attempt to kick them off at some point.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Kelli, leave the flower boxes and paint them white!! Plant flowers...and that long, viney stuff that hangs over the edge. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts