Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help my choc lab of 5 years as now decided to started barking anywhere between 4.30 and 5 in the am. she is not on her own and is fit and has plenty of toys etc. I can only think she hears the delivery man with the bread and milk being delivered to my corner shop two doors away. The problem is my neighbours are now complaning. I have explained the situation and i wake up as soon as she barks then i feed my dogs and exercise them. At my wits end any ideas someone suggested a barking collar but i have never used one and am unsure please please can anyone help me. i live in a detached house. Any ideas much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Barking is so frustrating at those wee hours in the morning. I feel for you. I think it's because if you are feeding her and exercising her when she barks you're rewarding her for barking, and now in her doggy world she thinks barking is a good thing.

Tell her "No Bark"
When she is quiet, give her a series of other commands (sit, down, whatever, it doesn't matter you're just redirecting her attention) and then reward for those good behaviours.

Dozer had a barking issue, not at 5am, but he was annoying ... this worked for him. However he was not barking at a noise, just for attention.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BJ used to bark at any noise in the house after we went to bed. Because of other issues we started having him sleep in a crate in our room and the barking also stopped.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I read the other day about a similar issue. The dog was sleeping in the den, downstairs. Suggestion was to let him sleep in the bedroom. Problem solved immediately. Have you tried this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts