Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what else to do. He is a great dog. He's about a year and a half old. He is well trained, he isn't jumpy or rowdy, he's great with all the kids, he's great. EXCEPT....He eats EVERYTHING! But he doesn't do it when he is with us. He does it when we're not looking. He has eaten stuffed animals, carpet, towels, blankets, his dog bowl. Our vet told us to get a shock collar that has the beeping noise so we could beep him when he's outside and about to eat something like his dog house, the grill, rocks, the fence...so we did. And it helped. He would get something in his mouth and if we caught him, we beeped him and he would drop it and walk away. Well, the other day, He at the SHOCK COLLAR and not just the collar part, the part with the batteries and prongs....and his dog bowl. He had a hard plastic dog bowl outside just for water, and he tore it too a bunch of sharp pieces and ate them. I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Yikes, you are going to be spending a lot of money at the vets office for surgery to remove all the stuff. Take him outside on a leash to start with. Also is he crate trained? He is still very young and needs constant supervision.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
You have my sympathies.

Batteries are toxic if ingested...the very first thing you should do is get him evaluated by a vet. X-rays would be good to see if there are indeed batteries in there.

Secondly, you need to work on teaching a good solid "leave it." I think if you google "dog command leave it" you will probably come up with an idea of how it is taught. In a nutshell, you begin by giving a low value item, and trading it for a high value item (treats work well, but they must be HIGH VALUE, i.e. hot dogs, chicken, cheese, etc.). Gradually you up the value of the item you're trading for, and if you always make this an uber-rewarding experience, you will eventually have a solid leave-it. Eventually. This is a long, but very worthwhile, process.

Lastly, Labs are puppies for a very long time. You have a puppy still at this point, as far as behavior. Not uncommon at all.

He does it when we're not looking.
He's not ready to be unsupervised. It is your duty at this point to protect him from himself. One of these days he is going to eat something that causes an obstruction, which will mean surgery or death. I've been through an obstruction surgery, and you really don't want to go there, trust me.

When you are unable to supervise him directly, he should be crated.

Also, more exercise will go a long way towards reducing this kind of behavior. Whatever exercise he is getting, it may not be enough for him. And, as we all love to say, "A tired dog is a good dog." :p

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He's not ready to be unsupervised. It is your duty at this point to protect him from himself. One of these days he is going to eat something that causes an obstruction, which will mean surgery or death.
When you are unable to supervise him directly, he should be crated.

Also, more exercise will go a long way towards reducing this kind of behavior. Whatever exercise he is getting, it may not be enough for him. And, as we all love to say, "A tired dog is a good dog."
That and that! IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to protect him. He should be not be outside alone and he definitely shouldn't be inside alone, without being crated. Please?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You have been told everything you need to know already. Your dog is not ready for freedom without supervision.

Time to get him in a crate when you can't be watching him. Time to walk him on a leash. Time to get him into a serious exercise routine. Every day, maybe two or three times a day. You probably have a great dog, but you have lots of making up to do in order to get control of these behaviors.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
On the other hand, he is definitely a Labrador !

At the very least for your own sanity, get a crate - feed him in it to start with or give him treats when he goes in there - make it a fun place to be !

He will be and he will eventually feel safe in the crate and you can dispense with it ( if you want ) once that he has stopped the ( NORMAL ) destruction !

Don't bother with a fancy bed for the crate ! Maybe a carpet remnant to start ?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Sounds like he needs a ton more exercise, and a crate.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
He sounds bored and under-exercised to me. How much exercise (going for walks out of the yard, retrieving, swimming, etc.) does he get per day?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I hope this isn't another poster who asks for advice and then never comes back. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts