Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keely turned 2 on November 7. My little girl is growing up. Along with growing up is gaining weight, we all know that. Well her and I and my two other dogs have been walking for the past 2 months about 2 miles a day with each dog. So 4 miles for me. (Keely and Cooper walk together, Darma and I walk by ourselves.) :confused:

Well Keely and Cooper who are both 2 went for their yearly physical last Thursday. Upon entering the vet I plop Keely on to the scale......The scale is now screaming with a 106 pound dog on it. WOW!!!! I was shocked and kept trying to get her to sit perfect and don't move, trying to get that number to drop. It didn't. Cooper on the other hand who is part Labpart Great Dane weighs an easy 70 pounds.

Ok ok ok.... The vet is going to yell at me and Keely and I are going to have to try some other things. (I swear this girl only eats like 4 cups in a day. The vet laughed at me when I told her this but it is true) I also told the vet we are doing everything possible to loose some weight. Well the vet noticed that Keely's hair is very thin on her belly and chest. (We are having below freezing temperatures lately, her coat should be a lot thicker).

This is when the vet stopped laughing me and said has she ever been diagnosised with hypothroidism. :no:

Well this started the lines of questioning and testing. Questions I could handle, testing, well Keely wasn't happy with that.
Is Keely more tired than normal? Yeah
How long has her hair been this thin? Probably for about the last year
Has her appetite changed at all? :no:
Lets see what she weighed last year.................................ready for this................................[size=10pt]Keely weighed 82 pounds this time last year..............lets count....................Keely gained 24 pounds in a year [/size] :scare:
Cooper gained 3 pounds....HMMMMMMMM what's that telling us

Now for the testing. Keely was a good girl for the first test. After 30 mins of 2 antsy dogs in a small vet room, the vet comes back and says that it is low. Keely has hypothroidism. Now we need to draw another tube of blood to send off so we can determine exactly how low she is. This is where Keely stopped liking the vet. Finally we got that tube out.

Well Keely's final test results came back yesterday and the vet says her numbers came back very low and we need to get her started on some HYPOTHROIDISM medication.

Keely is apparently a rarer case because the vet was shocked at how low it came back considering how young Keely is. Usually dogs don't start dropping their numbers until they are older in age (usually around 6 or 7).

Looking back now, last year at this time, when she went to her year old physical the vet said she was about 10 pounds over weight. maybe we should have checked things back then. Who knows where we would be now. Keely I assume would not be weighing in at 106 pounds. A little background on Keely because I know some of you have larger labs that weigh over 100. Keely is 1) a female 2)very fit (we are always out and about, and she is always running around) 3) Keely is a purebred English Chocolate Lab. Because of being an English lab she is suppose to be on the smaller side of labs.

This morning Keely took her 2nd antifat medication (as I call it) and now we have 58 more pills to take to determine if she is on the right dosage. (3-4 weeks). Hopefully this works for her, because I can tell this is starting to cause more problems for her. Not only does it make you fat, you also loose hair, have trouble breathing (which is really starting to hit her hard. She snores so bad and is having trouble jogging with me) along with some other issues.

Moral to the story....no matter how hard your vet laughs at you because they think you are over feeding your baby stick to your grounds and make sure they realize that is not the case. Had I just have agreed with the vet and said yeah she may be eating too much, Where would my baby girl be in a year?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I justed added up dated pictures. So does anyone else have a dog that has hypothyroidism? How long did it take for them to start coming down in size?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm glad that you found out what was eating (pun!) Keely. I hope the meds help her and she is back to her old easy breathing, svelte self soon.

Sorry, no advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your support. I really need to do some research on this because differnet things are happening and I don't know if it is because of the meds or just because.

Yesterday we went to the park with one of our other dogs and 3 dogs that my friend has. We played hard that is for sure as well as hiked. This morning Keely threw up, which is completely unlike her but usually it is because she was eating grass. This time it wasn't that. She also has barely been eating at all.
My friend that we went to the park with took her and Darma to her house today and she said that she was clingy and wouldn't take any treats while over there. But she said that when she got back to my house Keely would accept the treats that I have. So I am not sure if Keely was just acting weird because she was out of her element or because of the meds. I am really leaning towards "being out of her element" because she is going crazy and playing hard with the my 2 other dogs.
The vet says that it would take at least 3 - 4 weeks to get this stuff into her system, but that is a little hard for me to believe. There really is not that much information out there about this subject which is driving me insane. :confused: I keep reading the same stuff just in different words. So any light you can shine on this would be gratefully appreciated. She's my Keely Bear......

Darma the baby had a medical scare when we first got her but that was easy to explain. She was in a foster home with a mother that was just left tied up some where. So the worms she was infested with, was a pain to fix, but was understandable and the bacteria infection that she had in the hair folciles on her ears was an easy problem to fix just time consuming. This is not going very easy with Keely and I am being a worried wart about it all.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Glad you got to the bottom of Keely's weight gain and can work on getting her fit and trim again.

The vet says that it would take at least 3 - 4 weeks to get this stuff into her system, but that is a little hard for me to believe
It is not that it takes 3-4 weeks to "get" into her system...it takes 3-4 weeks to determine the full effect of the medication.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts