Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a regular here years ago, I talked about my part time (sunday's only) day job at a local humane society.. Well, since then, I have gone from part time to full time and have gained the respect of a number of the higher-ups and was given a very respectable raise. I drive the animal rescue vehicle on pick ups and transports form shelter to shelter, I approve adoptions, give vaccinations/microchips, draw blood for heartworm, FHIV/FLeuk testing of unclaimed strays or untested surrendered pets, and perform behavior evaulations on dogs going onto the adoption floor.. So we know or not if they are a ticking time bomb or have any quirks that new owners should be aware of and discuss in great length, with potential owners their chosen dog's history.
...I also take on the heartbreaking aspect of working in a shelter.. The dreaded "E" word. I am not the one who pulls out the blue fluid, but I am the last kind face they see, the last loving arms they feel and the last soothing voice they hear, reminding them that they were good, as the life leaves them. Many times I have cried over this..

Luckily for them (and for myself), we have a brand new program where this "E" word is a very last resort. We give our dogs several times to pass their evaulation and if they fail we often put them into a program where we either work with them personally to modify their quirky behavior, or they are sent to rescue programs that specialize in rehab of the dogs with potential. "E" does and always will happen within shelter walls, but at my shelter, I am proud to say has cut the amount of blue fluid use down in an amazing way. . . I am very proud of our new k9 program.

Now, my latest request is to assist in leading puppy school classes. Having been personally asked by the woman in charge of this new program that is saving more lives of quirky dogs than I ever imagined possible.

My first class starts tomorrow. Within a few months I will be leading classes on my own with my own assistant.
I have landed my dream job and will be working here forever.
I could not be more stoked.

:D I just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Someone found a place where she can do what she loves for those that she loves. What could be better. Congratulations! I think your success made a lot of us feel good.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
That's so wonderful. Good for you for doing the parts of the job you love, and the parts you don't love, with equal care. Those dogs are lucky to have you.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Thank you so much for all that you do AND for sharing it with us.
I would like to echo the above. Thank you for making a difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my first puppy class was a blast. Within a number of months as my training progresses, it was discussed that I will become a certified trainer. I have attended puppy class as a student, but being there as an assistant was awesome! I'm getting paid to watch puppies frolic! LOL I can't wait until next weeks class..

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts