Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I made matzoh ball soup. Saturday I made tsimmes. Today I made a noodle kugel. YUM!

No, I'm not Jewish, but I had a great many Jewish friends when I lived in FL, and my old boss here is Jewish.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What exactly is a matzoh ball? I picture them to be dumpling-like, in which case - YUM!!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What exactly is a matzoh ball? I picture them to be dumpling-like, in which case - YUM!!!
Yes, they are like a dumpling, cooked in chicken broth. I cheat and buy the package mix from the store, but you can make them from scratch.

Tsimmes can be made many ways, but the recipe I have is with sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes, sugar or honey, butter, and water, combined in a large casserole and baked for three hours.

Noodle kugel is like a noodle pudding, with cooked noodles, sour cream, sugar (I used Splenda), eggs, vanilla, milk, and raisins, baked in a 9x13 baking dish.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
The matzoh balls and kugel stuff sounds excellent. The tsimmes, not so much. :D

Is the kugel a main dish or a dessert? The noodles with sugar and vanilla is throwing me off. LOL

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gefelte fish anyone? How 'bout rugelach?
I like gefilte fish with some good horseradish, and rugelach is wonderful when it's made right. I've had some that was so dry you choked on it, but a good cinnamon or raspberry melts in your mouth. YUM!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I applaud your diligence.

But if you attempt to pinch my cheeks, chide me for not becoming a doctor/dentist like Mrs. Moskowitz' boy, or complain about how long its been since I've called you, I'm outta here.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I applaud your diligence.

But if you attempt to pinch my cheeks, chide me for not becoming a doctor/dentist like Mrs. Moskowitz' boy, or complain about how long its been since I've called you, I'm outta here.
ROFLMAO - I will chide you if you don't try out for that play! ;)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
~~~sigh~~~
Yes, Mama!

FWIW -- Talked to DW#2 about it. She's interested. Auds are April 18, 23, and 25.....

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The matzoh balls and kugel stuff sounds excellent. The tsimmes, not so much. :D

Is the kugel a main dish or a dessert? The noodles with sugar and vanilla is throwing me off. LOL
I prefer matzoh ball soup to chicken noodle, hands down! :p

The tsimmes can be made without the prunes, and is like candied yams but with carrots, too.

Kugel is more a desssert or snack, although it can be made different ways and used as a main dish as well.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Okay guys! Since there is a holiday on the horizon, how about some Haroseth, or chocolate macaroons, matza pizza, and a whole bunch of other ethnic foods.

PS: You can ask to have any of these things in a dozen homes with a good Jewish cook and I guarantee that no two will be from the same recipe or taste the same.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MMMMMMMM! Good food!
My inner cook is surfacing again, too...
Woohoo!! :D I am not much of an inventive cook, but I can follow any recipe and sometimes improve on it. I do like playing with different sauces for boring old chicken breast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts