Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two year old lab that is pregnant. She has about 15 days till she delivers, (as the vet says), we could count at least 10 puppies.
The question I have is at what age can I let the male come around the pups? I have a 2 yr old male yellow lab, also. No i was not trying to be a back yard breeder! As of right now he is scheduled to be fixed in two weeks. Jenny will be fixed soon after. My room mate let them out together when she was in heat so now I have to do the right thing for the time being. Any info from you who are experianced with pregnant labs is greatly appreciated. I just did a refi on my home so i have the funds to do what i have to. Thank you again i have been getting much needed info from this site for a while now!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, but as you say, now you need to deal with it. Anyhow, it all really depends on the girl. Some are very protective, others are hippy moms and will welcome the help from others.

I'd put an ex pen around the whelping box (hopefully you've got something set up inside in a quiet warm spot by now). Give her her privacy during and once she has the puppies. She won't want to leave the puppies for a few days so you'll have to take her out on leash to potty etc.

As for the actual whelp, please do a lot of reading. Know when to go to the vet... your ***** could die if you don't know she's in distress. Here is a place to start: http://lowchensaustralia.com/breeding.htm

Good luck. Anne

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Good luck with the whelping. I'm glad you plan to spay/neuter afterwards. I will admit that I've been breeding for more than 20 years, and yes, I have had one "oops" litter. I guess it can happen to any of us. Make sure your vet will be available in case you run into problems, and be sure you know what to do once your brood arrives (deworming and vaccination schedule, etc).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well oke, you just ave to go with the flow .. Ans sit this ride out. But see it from this point of view, not evryone could enjoy the birth of the Labrador Retriever ;)

And as described as above .. It depends on how 'the mother dog' will act towards other dogs ;)

But mostly, male dogs leave such young pups alone, and ignore them ...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
never mind. I'll be good.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but like someone else said - read up on everything you possibly can about whelping. Labby has some good info on her site - www.kelrobin.com.

Here is the section on the Kelrobin site that has all kinds of stuff that will help.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html

Glad to hear the boy is being neutered, and please spay the female as soon as you can.

Good luck!!
:)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
My gosh. It wasn't that bad. It was a statement of the obvious. And I was too tired to deal with it, so I made like Felix and just let it be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!!

thank you all for replying, they will both be spayed/neutered after this ordeal.
I agree this is something not many people have the chance to experience. Believe me this was not something I was out to do just ignorance caused it. I was afraid to come back for replies for a bit, i know what the member was holding back saying. I just want to thank you all again for being the go to place for lab info. I already picked up a few books yesterday so hopefully I'll be ready!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts