Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the house, hate how the cedar is turning so dark / black. Hubby is thinking of staining it - light gray with white trim, black shutters. Yuck?? It's so hard to tell what's it going to look like. Then I'm afraid if we do it and hate it, then we're stuck. The cedar "plain" is hard to upkeep! What do you think?

Old pic (last year), but you get the idea :

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I don't know. He was thinking the shore look. I'd like to keep it natural, if there were an easy way to clean it and keep it clean. Tried power washing, that did nothing.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, but, but, but....it's all different shades now. Maybe we should just change the trim color?

I dunno. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
for what it is worth--i love the look. it fits in with the trees and natural setting. maybe changing the trim color would be a good idea.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'm afraid you're stuck with a bunch of people who think it looks charming as hell just the way it is. It just seems to fit so naturally into the woodsy background. I think a fresh coat of paint on the trim might make you feel better but I wouldn't change the overall look.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are all so right! I guess we are just looking for a change after 19 years of living there. Maybe a fresh coat of paint on the trim is all it needs. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
It's beautiful Amy! I think a fresh coat of paint would look great! Maybe a slightly brighter red?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
You already know I love it! I'll take a cabin in the woods over a fancy big house anyday! And I also love the aged cedar, wouldn't try to change it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just moved into a cedar sided house and love the rustic look. I know some parts are darker than others. I think it adds character and charm.

After 6 months, once the novelty wears off...I may be eating these words. :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yea, but, but, but....it's all different shades now.
Patience with the cedar as it will eventually even out to a nice permanent no maintenance weathered patina.
You can brighten the overall look by painting the trim and shutters a lighter color.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Don't touch the cedar! Staining or painting is the worse thing that you can do to it. Once you close the cells in the wood it will start to deteriorate and won't last as long. Cedar has tannins that keep it naturally resistant to rot and insects. As suggested, over time the colour will become consistent and will look great. There is nothing better than the look of aged, patinated cedar. Nothing will last like cedar left alone. The house I grew up in has cedar siding and shakes - when my parents sold it after 25 years, the cedar was still in great shape and was a wonderful grey/silver colour. The minute you paint or stain, your siding becomes a maintenance issue. Stain will need to be re-done every 2-4 years and paint every 5 or so years. Natural cedar needs nothing done to it. Ever. Look at the still standing longhouses and totem poles (both built of cedar) along the northern west coast that are still standing.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
It's lovely. If you don't like the dark look you could power wash and then put a stain on. All the townhomes in my neighborhood have cedar roofs. Some people have stained theirs and it looks good.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK OK OK, I'm convinced! :)
So, how about opinions on what color do the trim / shutters / front door?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts