Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is doing very well now with his lunging. We walk for a good 5 minutes, slow trot for maybe 2 and then walk again for another 5. I throw in a few halts between that time, then we repeat on the other side.

Toby is starting to figure it out quite nicely.

Today, after our work, I tied him to the trailer out in the driveway and took the curry comb to him. Boy, did the hair fly!!! As I was doing his neck, he laid his head on my shoulder and sighed. Somehow, I doubt a horse that dislikes me and wants to deliberately hurt me, would do that.

Greg and Sharon pulled up in their car as I was grooming him and he barely opened his eyes as the car went behind him into the garage. Good boy! Sharon came out and remarked at how relaxed he was as he lowered his head for me to scratch his ears. Then as I was brushing out his mane, he again put his head on my shoulder and gave me a horse hug.

He lifted his feet on command so I could pick them out.

I do appreciate that everyone felt they had to give an opinion the last time I posted about him, especially those who took the time to suggest things for me to do. It was the "your horse dislikes you and will deliberately hurt you so sell him at an auction" that surprised and shocked me, quite frankly.

I have no illusions that he's a horse and can hurt me if he wanted to, but he has never shown any indication of that and in fact seeks me out when I go out to see him.

He's gained a bit of weight but prolly still has close to 100 pounds to gain before I'll be happy with his appearance.

We're getting there, slowly but surely.

Thanks to those for the encouragement.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I'm so glad he's working out. It sounds like he's a lot more 'at home' where he's at. That can make a difference in both of you. Not sure about the selling him at an auction comment but coming from a lab person...is it me or does that not make sense? A horse is just as much a member of your family as a dog. Maybe not quite as close a bond but still.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks, Laura for the update. I think that you are a wonderful horseperson and that Toby loves you very much. Don't understand people that think their opinion needs to be aired when they don't know what they are talking about. I hope you continue posting about Toby. i love to hear about him.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What Nance said. Huge smile on my face (not to mention tears in my eyes LOL) when I read that.

It was the "your horse dislikes you and will deliberately hurt you so sell him at an auction"
Whoever said that you is nothing but a giant *******.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
So glad to hear it Laura! Toby is a fine boy and I think you guys are meant to be together. Just hang in there.
And talk about the HAIR!! I'm tempted to try the furminator on mine. Not only am I dealing with hair, but you should see the pollen here, it's up our noses and everywhere. Nasty. I'll have to post pics of it.

Are you riding? Hopefully you'll be riding him again soon, can't wait to see some more of your trail videos!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used the furminator on him last year and he didn't like it. So now I just use a curry or shedding blade. He's got a real wiry coat, more like a terrier. Sharon's shocked at his winter coat and the texture. Her horses are all fuzzy.

No, I'm not riding him right now. I don't want to get into the saddle until he's more responsive on the ground. That's the one thing I miss about Bonnie's, I could ride any of her horses whenever I wanted.

Oh and Bonnie closed on their house and is moving to the UP of Michigan on the 23rd of April. Good thing I thought ahead and found a place when I did.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've thought about selling him and getting an older, bomb proof horse. I seriously considered it today as I drove out to see him. I am not a horse trainer nor do I ever claim to be. It would be nice not have to go out and train him, just ride him. That's why I bought a horse, so I could ride it. Then he acted the way he did today and I just can't sell him yet. I keep asking him if he wants to go elsewhere and he keeps telling me he doesn't. Of course, I think he knows he has it made and he'd be a fool to tell me differently. lol

If I ever did sell him, it wouldn't be at auction. Most of the horses at auction around here go to Canada and end up either on someone's plate or in a dog dish.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
What a great picture!

I know exactly what you mean by getting a bomb proof horse. I am so happy that Gandy is 22 years old and "settled". Oh, don't get me wrong, she still has her moments, but not so much when I'm on top of her. This morning she actually spooked at a squirrel. The extent of her spook was a half step to the left on her front end only, LOL. I laughed at her and fondly (or not so fondly) remembered the days when she'd spook that way but would move out from under me so quickly... I'd be in the saddle and the next instant there literally would be no horse under me. Thank God she doesn't do that anymore. Age has it's advantages. And she's healthy too. So we have some more years ahead of us to enjoy.

What is the horse market like up your way? Down here they are literally giving horses away. They can't sell them, and people can't afford them, so you can find some good horses free or dirt, dirt cheap. Sad ecomony.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the horse market like up your way? Down here they are literally giving horses away. They can't sell them, and people can't afford them, so you can find some good horses free or dirt, dirt cheap. Sad ecomony.
Pretty bad here too. Nobody is giving geldings away but mares are pretty cheap. I'm just not sure I'm a mare person. I'd like to stay with a Paint or maybe a QH. Anything else, I'm really not interested in though someone tried to give me an Arab. Uh, no thanks. ;)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Glad things are going well. That is such a great picture of the 2 of you.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.