Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a rough day and don't know where else to go. my grandmother was rushed to the hospital last night because they could not get her blood sugar down (it was at 492 by the time they got her to the hospital). my mom was visiting my sister in NC and my uncle was in Columbus so I met my grandfather at the hospital last night at 11:00 to sit with him. by the time they brought her in, her legs were purpling, which meant all the oxygen was being rushed to the organs to keep them functioning and there really wasn't anything the doctor's or nurses could do to reverse the damage. they said she was comfortable and i held her hand while my grandfather held her other hand and within 3 hours of being rushed to the hospital, she slipped quietly away. i am devastated.

this was the woman who raised me when i was growing up because both my parents worked. she always told me i was her favorite grandchild and that i was to keep it a secret. i would go over for lunch at least twice a week to visit with her, take her shopping, or just keep her company. she got encephalitis (sp) about 6 years ago and lost her short term memory so she wasn't the grandmother i knew while growing up for a long time. it still makes it very hard to say goodbye. the funeral is set for wednesday and i have waves of sobbing when i think of all the time we spent together.

if you have any spare prayers to send, my family could use it. her and my grandfather had been married for 58 years and were still very much in love with eachother. she is not suffering anymore but that doesn't make us miss her any less. thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. The comfort that she was given by you and your Grandfather when it was time to cross over made it easier for her to do so. In time, it will bring you comfort as well. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I am so sorry, Jackie. You describe a very special bond with your grandmother. I am glad that you were able to be there for her and your grandfather when she passed.
You will be in my thoughts.
Molly

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Jackie,

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. My heart goes out to you. Even though it was hard, it was good that you were able to be there for her. My thoughts are with you, your Grandfather and your family.

Jeanne

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Jackie,

I am so sorry for your loss. Please know you and your whole family will be in my prayers. Please give you grandfather a hug for me.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm sorry, Jackie.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. :angel:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Oh, Jackie. :( I am so, so sorry for your tremendous loss. :(

Jackie, if it is any consolation for you, and someday I hope it will be, you need to know that you were there for your grandmother just when she needed you the most. You were there to support your grandfather and I am sure, after 58 years of marriage, he really did need your support.

((HUGS)) to you, dear. Take care of yourself. We will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Jackie,
I know how hard it is to lose a grandparent with whom you have such strong a bond. It's one of the hardest things in the world.
Take comfort in knowing you were there for her in the end, as I wish I had been with my Grandpa.
You'll be in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts