Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friends David and Marilka are getting married. They've decided to do a destination wedding in Sun Palace in Cancun, Mexico on February 19th, 2010... so I'll be in cancun for my birthday!!! (Feb 20th) lol

I've never traveled to a resort or anywhere in central or south america. I'm much more of a European vacation girl. So I'm not sure if I should plan on going for 4 or 7 days... what activities I'm going to be able to do... what I will need to prepare... (I'm not sure I even have the kind of clothes I'd need for that kind of vacation).

I'm excited though! Cancun isn't somewhere I'd probably travel myself so this will be an opportunity to do something I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to.

Any experiences/advice/stories/reviews of destination weddings as a guest would be appreciated!

Here is the website: http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/SunPalace/Index.asp

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Seriously? Our gov't is telling everyone not to travel to Mexico. Bring mace

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We stayed there, Linds!! That was 10 years ago, but still.....:D We always went to Cancun in February, too, since our anniversay is the 19th.

The resort was beautiful, but as far as activities go - not. Don't leave the resort unless you want to be harrassed by people selling stuff every 5 seconds. That includes on the beach in front of the resort. We liked this place because where the resort is located, you can walk miles and miles and miles either way on the beach and it's gorgeous!!! Tons of iguana's, too. When we were there, there were employees who worked at the resort, randomly pouring tequila shots down peoples throats, whether they wanted it or not.

I think 4 days is more than enough. Clothes? Short, tanks, bathing suits. Casual clothes for dinner....

Meanwhile, I hate destination weddings. Do they think people are made of money?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh, I forgot. You can go and see the ruins, we went to Talum. I thought I was going to die right then and there. I can't even begin to describe how hot it was, I almost passed out. Seriously.

On the way there, there were dudes with rifles in the middle of the road, randomly stopping people. Scary as hell!!!!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Kelli is right. Canadians keep getting killed in Mexico.

My wedding anniversary is Feb 19. ;) It's a good day to get married!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
We were in Cancun last June for our 20th wedding anniversary (four-day wknd). It was gorgeous, but we pretty much stuck to the resort. We *did* venture out for Mass and some lo-level shopping, but that was pretty much it.

The water and the beach were stunning. The resort, too, was eye-popping. But four days was plenty. And we took no tours.

I think if you're smart and aware, you'll be okay/safe.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
The only really eye-rollingly annoying thing was the exit from the airport to the resort transpo. There's a section that is LINED with pinheads looking to "Help" you, meaning side-track you into taking their uncle's brother's sister-in-law's friend's tour bus of some authentic something or a boat-ride whatever. Once we figured out that they were nothings (which took about 2 minutes' of schpiel), we just walked away.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
When we were there, the airport was a dirty, disgusting hellhole.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
When we were there, the airport was a dirty, disgusting hellhole.
Thats what I remember also! We've been once, glad to never go again! That resort looks wonderful though, so I could see me finding one of those lounge chairs with a good book and an ice cold drink and just hanging out! I wouldn't leave the resort if it were me!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I'm thinking... "I better check to make sure I can bring knitting needles on a plane" lol

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
BTW, Linds...I found this website with a lot of great ideas for patterns where you just do different versions of knitting and purling, plus simple lace patterns. Some of the advice was "duh" but I'd never thought of it, you know? Like putting a small seed border around a stockinette stitch on a scarf to keep it from curling. I wish I'd thought of that, it would save me from blocking part of my scarf. I don't have it here but it was on a google search.

I've been buying lots of yarn to make scarves but I really want to start sock making...I need to youtube all the different methods.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
You can bring them on a plane, even pointy metal ones. You just can't bring scissors. My coworker goes to Germany all the time with hers and it hasn't been a problem. She was advised though to bring a SASE in case they do want to confiscate them, so she can drop them in the mail instead.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I, too, would like to do some sock knitting at some point.

Part if me though really really really wants to start doing lace stuff... looks so pretty and delicate...

I really need to use the yarn/needles I've already bought though :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts