Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know from reading O & E I'm dealing with something incredibly hard for me this week.

And through it all, he's there, walking slowly at my side as I trudge through knee-deep snow in the pasture to check on Dot, not his normal exuberant self, but calm, quiet as we go. He waits patiently nearby, sitting and watching as I approach the dying horse, staying far enough away as not to disturb her, but close enough so I know he's there.

After the tears, he gets up as I get closer to him again, gently takes my gloved hand in his mouth for a moment then walks back with me, slowly by my side, bumping his shoulder ever so slightly against my knee occasionally as we go.

He might not have turned out to be a show dog and subject to ridicule by some of the local Lab people, but I wouldn't trade him for anyone or anything.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
That brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing how they always know exactly what we need.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
They just instinctively know don't they?

Point those who DARE ridicule Jakey boy in my direction, they won't be laughing then~:mad2:

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you and poor old Dot Laura~:hug:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He might not have turned out to be a show dog and subject to ridicule by some of the local Lab people
He's not? People ridicule him? :frown:

I think he's perfect.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's not? People ridicule him? :frown:

I think he's perfect.
No, he's not because of that tail. Some of the things people have said have been downright nasty. I'd rather have a dog with a high tail then one I can't let out with my other dogs because of a nasty temperament. *shrugs*

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hugs to you Laura for what you are going through. Jakey is a beautiful lab; I am glad he is there for you.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. And so glad he's there for you to help ease your pain.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
No, he's not because of that tail. Some of the things people have said have been downright nasty. I'd rather have a dog with a high tail then one I can't let out with my other dogs because of a nasty temperament. *shrugs*
In the end showing a dog is just that: "showing off". He´s a winner of whatever BIS and titles you want to put on him based on his temperament, which in the end is the only important thing as Jakey has demonstrated you.

I also have a high tailed "show prospect" with Homer. I think their tails are higher because they want to show they are happier than the rest :) and have more personality

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Some of the best companion dogs in the world are not perfect specimens of any breed. You have one, you know it. Other people just don't matter.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Well Laura, to us he's perfect and especially as your beloved boy. You couldn't ask for better. {{{HUGS}}} Hang on through this, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Aww Jakey. It's so great to have that kind of bond with a dog. You don't have to say a word and they know exactly what needs to be done to help you and/or make you feel better.

Jakey may have a high tail, but I still think he is gorgeous and a very good representative of the breed. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
He sounds like the perfect specimen of the Lab as described by any book or encyclopedia I've ever seen. I'm so glad you have a sympathetic friend sticking close during your troubles.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts