Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in shock. I just got an estimate of $12,000. I've sold all my dining room furniture, most of the living room furniture and am not taking anything from 2 of my 3 bedrooms except my computer table and computer and file cabinet. She did estimate it high but the stuff may also be in storage for 6 months so that was figured in.

I'm sticking with this company because they just moved my mother and were incredible. They also do all the State Department moves across the country and are allied with Atlas Van Lines and my saleswoman used to work for Atlas in Walnut Creek where I'll probably end up. Oh Lah, what do ordinary folk do?

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
That's crazy!! Yikes
Good luck with your move I can't imagine how stressful it would be to move cross country it's bad enough in the same city.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
If I sold my dining room and living room stuff, my crap doesn't even value 12K. Wow!

G

·
My sister is moving from Alberta to Nova Scotia and its only costing her around $4000, that includes everything she owns and a car, she and her hubby and two kids will be flying home and all thier stuff will be on a flat deck 18 wheeler inside a uhaul. $12,000 does seem like a bit much but she won't be storing anything, and the $4000 includes the cost of thier flights. Thats how "ordinary" folk do it. ???

:)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Holy crap Danie!! :eek: :eek: But, I guess it's peace of mind too though, which accounts for a lot. I used to hear so many horror stories from friends in the restaurant industry, moving cross country where the movers lost all kinds of crap, or stuff got damaged.

While it seems steep, they seem to have a good rep.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Unless you've got a million boxes, that seems pretty high. Whether you like the company or not, I'd get some more bids. It could give you some negotiating room with the salesperson.

I've got a friend that just moved from Philadelphia to Northern California. She only had the moving company move large furniture. All the boxes she sent by UPS. She had read about it somewhere and figured it saved her a couple of thousand dollars. It took a little more work on her part but she saved a bunch that she couldn't really afford.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Golfgirlrobin said:
I've got a friend that just moved from Philadelphia to Northern California. She only had the moving company move large furniture. All the boxes she sent by UPS. She had read about it somewhere and figured it saved her a couple of thousand dollars. It took a little more work on her part but she saved a bunch that she couldn't really afford.
That's an interesting idea but I just shipped a small box with 2 small very light weight gifts to my granddaughter and it cost me $24 going UPS ground from here to California. (Almost double what the gifts cost me.) I can't imagine what something large or heavy would cost.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
That estimate sounds about what it is around here...

We moved 5 miles and packed up our own stuff. The movers just had to load it onto the truck...drive it 5 miles and unload. They charged us $3500-4000 (I can't remember the exact amount). And we shopped around ::) That was the cheapest we could find.

How far are you moving?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I used ABF U-pack from New York to Georgia. You have to transport your goods to their terminal,pack it on the trailer yourself and unload at the destination terminal and haul to your new apt./house. They offered storage,but I didn't need to. I paid $900.00 for ABF and about $150.00 in rental trucks. It's the cheapest way I found. If you don't mind doing all the loading and unloading it's a good deal. We did all our own packing and had zero damage.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Ouch!!

My BFF just said it will cost her under $250 for movers, to move into her new apt. Mind you, its the same city, and they don't pack her stuff - just pick it up and deliver it within a couple of hours. So the situations are vastly different. I thought she got a good deal though, definitely worth it.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
When we moved cross-country the bid was about $10,000 from either Allied or Atlas (can't remember), and that was with a preferred-customer discount (university moved us). So that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, although if you sold that much stuff it definitely seems high. Do you have a lot of books? We have hundreds and hundreds of books, so that was what really killed us. It also included packing. Are they packing you?

The cheapest is freight, but I absolutely do not trust it. We had serious problems both times we tried it (once stuff did not arrive for weeks; the other time there was severe damage).

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Ouch, that's expensive. I think if I sold my table and living room things, I could probably pack eveything else up in a U-Haul. Maybe not the boys' loft bed, but heck...I can buy them another and it'd probably still be cheaper! lol

Good luck with the move. They're never fun. :(

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I've never had a mover. It's always been me and the U-Haul. The last time when I moved from Georgia to Tx I had one the size of a semi. Seriously!

Frances

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
We used a back haul tractor trailer. We knew someone who works for a trucking company, and he had a long-distance truck come that was going to be empty on its way back from delivering something across the country. Of course, we had to load and unload it, and they weren't liable for any damage to the goods. It didn't cost much and was pretty convenient.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yikes! That does sound like a lot.

I've gotta look into cross-country moving costs soon too, and I ain't looking forward to it!

G

·
We used UPack as well (ABF). We have two containers (5x10) and it cost approx $3500 to move it from Florida to Seattle, plus $150 a month to store (we used two months). When we decided to come back to Florida, we sold most of our stuff, filled a 5x10 storage unit at Public Storage and got a quote from ABF for $1900. We are paying now $65 a month for storage at Public Storage and who knows when we'll get $2000 to move our stuff back from Seattle. We drove both from Florida to Seattle and from Seattle to Florida when we moved back. Cost us about $1500 each time for gas, hotels and food.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lilprincee said:
Oh Lah, what do ordinary folk do?
and all this time I thought you were ordinary folk!
LOL. I am, that's why I'm either selling or donating almost everything in my house to be able to afford to move.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts