1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
great

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I'd be pleased to congratulate you if only I knew what presenting at TESOL was and what you did.

As best I can Google, it's 'teaching English as a second language' -- is that right? And what was your presentation or why the honor?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'd be pleased to congratulate you if only I knew what presenting at TESOL was and what you did.

As best I can Google, it's 'teaching English as a second language' -- is that right? And what was your presentation or why the honor?

Yes, it is exactly that! Teaching English as a second language. We wrote a proposal to present at this conference and it was an honor for it to be accepted. Our presentation was titled: "What Can We Learn about Eng. Lang. Learners during Walkthroughs", we documented (photos and notes)visits (walk-throughs) to schools with high ELL populations, their instructional practices, achievement as evidenced in data, and next steps for individual school ELL programs based on collaborative conversations with the school community. At the start of each school visit the principal poses a question for us to explore in the bldg., we then look for the evidence in practice. This is a non-evaluative process providing an objective view. We leave each school with what we saw (low inference observation), and probing questions. They devise their next steps and share with our team. We then follow up and communicate our learnings with other learning communities.

We are hoping to present again at the national TESOL convention in November!

Edited to add: Why is this important?? There are many great things going on in many schools but little time or venue to share the great wealth of knowledge. Schools that struggle with this population get to learn from those that are succeeding. In addition, ELL students are now required within a very limited time to take standardized tests in English, HS students need to pass the English regents, we have the ability to get the information out quickly.
Columbia University is one of the top teaching colleges, an Ivy League university, and attracts thoughtful minds!

Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions!!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. I'm greatly in favor of evaluating teaching methods and outcomes.

Congratulations and I hope your team gets selected to present to the national convention in November.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts