Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago on a Saturday afternoon (low traffic), I pulled into the Left Turn Only lane (LT w/signal only) and waited for the lighted arrow. A police car was just behind me; we were the only 2 cars.

I made the Left Turn into the right hand lane of the two lanes.

Immediately flashing red lights came on behind me so I pulled over.

The woman police officer cited me for 2 traffic violations -- a first for not signaling a left turn while waiting at the light before and while making the turn AND a second for improper lane change (she said I should've turned into the lane nearest the center and then signalled a lane change to the outside).

I told my insurance agent about it a few days later and he suggested I NOT just pay the two fines but instead go to court, plead Nolo contendere/No contest, and explain the situation to the judge.

Did that yesterday morning, the soonest my court date could be set.

Interesting cast of characters and charges before the judge.

When it was "my turn":) the judge dismissed the second citation and fine.

So it cost me just $116 rather than $232 to learn to use my turn signals more often.

(Of course, I was hoping the judge would dismiss both because I thought a warning was more appropriate than a ticket but no such luck.)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Well, at least you got a bit of a break. I thought if the office didn't show, it was automatically thrown out?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Nice outcome, but I always thought when you made a left turn you were to turn into the right lane as you did. Glad they dropped that part.
(I'm a turn signal freak... I signal for everything, so I would have been okay there.)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Jason and I actually had a conversation about that recently - are you supposed to turn into the inside lane or the outside lane when turning left onto a multi-lane road? Or does it matter?

There are times when you wouldn't have a choice even if you wanted - times when I've had to turn left and then immediately right. No time to do what your officer wanted you to do.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Me too. Jason hardly ever uses his signals. Drives me crazy.
Same with John - must be a guy thing.

Glad you were able to catch a break Bob!

·
Registered
149 Posts
People who turn left and go immediately into the right lane give me "road rage" every time! This is one thing that infuriates me. You must stay in your own lane!! If you were going straight through that intersection, you wouldn't veer into the other lane would you?

If someone is sitting at the other side of the intersection on a red light, but can turn right when it is clear, they will not be expecting you to swerve into their lane. (If you are waiting to make a right turn on red when it is clear, you must also stay in your lane.)

I would have thrown the not using the turn signal out, but definitely not an illegal lane change.

·
Registered
903 Posts
People who turn left and go immediately into the right lane give me "road rage" every time! This is one thing that infuriates me. You must stay in your own lane!! If you were going straight through that intersection, you wouldn't veer into the other lane would you?
Me too. I can't tell you how many times someone either hasn't noticed that I've pulled up next to them or maybe doesn't care but while we're turning they veer into my lane. That means I have heart-stopping moments and have to go onto the shoulder if there is one, while laying on the horn. I've also dealt with the 'I can get off the line faster and will then veer in front of you' people. They're dangerous.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
If someone is sitting at the other side of the intersection on a red light, but can turn right when it is clear, they will not be expecting you to swerve into their lane.
Personally when I'm making a right-turn on red, I'm watching traffic from all directions. I don't turn right on red if there is someone across from me turning left.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
A few years ago I turned left and immediately went into the right lane and a lady turning right hit me! It was her fault, though, because I had a green arrow and she was at a red light. Didn't seem to matter to the officer that I was turning into the right instead of the left lane.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
They do big crackdowns here on people who are turning left and go straight into the right lane.. police hate that one, apparently=)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I knew that you were supposed to stay in "your lane", but I didn't know it was actually "the law". And I think the turn-signal thing was lame, since he was in a left turn only with a light that has a left turn.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Jason and I actually had a conversation about that recently - are you supposed to turn into the inside lane or the outside lane when turning left onto a multi-lane road? Or does it matter?

There are times when you wouldn't have a choice even if you wanted - times when I've had to turn left and then immediately right. No time to do what your officer wanted you to do.
The rule is: turn FROM a left lane TO a left lane, and FROM a right lane TO a right lane (if there are two lanes in the road you are turning onto). If you wish to cross to the next lane, you are supposed to signal, wait a moment, then change lanes.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Barring some blatant serious violation, I never sign the ticket, nor pay the fine without a court date. Okay, what do I get stopped for? Sliding through a stop sign making a left turn when there is nothing in sight to my left, 8 mph over the speed limit, what ever. I show up in court. 4 out of 6 times the cops doesn't and citation dismissed, 1 of 6 times judge gave me a lecture and told me thaqt if he saw me again, I could not be happy. 1of 6 times, should have just mailed in the fine.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Barring some blatant serious violation, I never sign the ticket, nor pay the fine without a court date. Okay, what do I get stopped for? Sliding through a stop sign making a left turn when there is nothing in sight to my left, 8 mph over the speed limit, what ever. I show up in court. 4 out of 6 times the cops doesn't and citation dismissed, 1 of 6 times judge gave me a lecture and told me thaqt if he saw me again, I could not be happy. 1of 6 times, should have just mailed in the fine.
Several of the guys I play cards with are police officers, and they said that's the dirty little secret around here. They don't get paid to show up to court for citations, so they normally don't go. If you go, chances are good that the police officer won't, and your ticket will be dismissed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts