Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm doing OK. :) So that's good news. But tell you what, the first thing I wanted to do on arriving home was give my boys a big hug.

The crowd was pretty thin by the time I got there, around lunchtime. We had agility this morning, so I was rushing to get there by then. They are competing with a HUGE Earth Day celebration in Centennial Park. Why they scheduled this for today, I have no idea ??? Not super-bright IMO.

Anyway, a couple of stories I thought you all might enjoy:

We had a tent set up and tons of free literature to hand out. Our job was just to smile and engage people in conversation and talk them into bringing their dog to our classes. :p I didn't have much opportunity to act as a supporter of adoption, as all the dogs were inside, and most of the people coming to our booth already had dogs and weren't looking for another. Oh well. :-\

OK. So at one point a young guy comes up and starts talking to us about his dog who has SO much energy, he just can't tire him out, he thinks that maybe classes would give him something to do. YES! CORRECT! :D We talk for a while, and eventually he points through the crowd and says, "See, that's him over there."

Yellow Lab ;)

Naturally I am all over this one. :police: The dog makes its way over with what I assume was the young guy's father. It soon became obvious that this dog was MORBIDLY obese. Truly. This was the heaviest Lab I have ever seen in person.

Tom, one of the IW people at the club, could not manage to hold his tongue about this, and sort of laid into the guy with a mini-sermon. :eek: The young guy, bless his heart (there's bless your heart used as a slam :D ), said this:

"Well, the vet says he is borderline overweight. Labs are just an overweight breed."

???

He continued, "They need all that extra fat to help them retrieve in the water."

???

I am thinking to myself, oh boy, this is one for JL. Can't wait. :D

Now, I don't want to sound too mean - this young guy was EXTREMELY nice and his heart was most definitely in the right place. Again, bless his heart - he just didn't know any better.

I decided my tactic would be to play good cop to Tom's bad cop. ;D

I stood and loved the dog up, carried on about how sweet he was, then got above him and said, "You know, when you are standing above them, you really should see a waist right here. So how much does Boo-Boo weigh?"

Wait for it...

One hundred and forty pounds.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I tried not to pass out and continue smiling, and said, "OK. Well Angus, my Lab, is about the same height as yours I'd say, and he weighs 65."

At which point the young guy pointed at his dad like, "See! I told you!" Apparently this is an ongoing source of contention between the two. Dad, btw, was quite overweight as well. :-\

Anyway, I told them about green beans, cutting out the table scraps, and Tom questioned them and found out they were free-feeding, so Tom was all over the put it down and take it back up after a few minutes method.

So, hopefully we helped a Lab today. :) Incidentally, they adopted this Lab from animal control two years ago. He is exactly the same age as Angus.

Story #2 (this one's shorter):

Well, you know I couldn't go down there and not go in and see the dogs. I figured if there was ever a time I could go in and check it out and not get too depressed, this was my opportunity, when there would be tons of other people in there too.

It was not all that bad. Really, it was just like the Humane Association. Similar kennels, just as clean. There were probably a few more kennels, and they had puppies and adults in the same room, but otherwise, very little difference.

My next dog is a pound dog. For sure. Now that I have gotten over the hump and been in, I will not be afraid.

SO! I am going around and seeing who all is there, and this black dog catches my eye. This dog is the exact size that Simon was when we adopted him. :angel: I get closer to meet her, and notice she is labeled a "Gordon Setter." I look at her closely and lo and behold, she looks EXACTLY like a Flattie!

Now, I have spent the last year obsessing about Flatties. :p I have looked at countless photos, met a few at shows, read everything I could get my hands on about them, and I am telling you - she was a RINGER!! The head was right, ears were right, feathering, tail, everything. Honest to goodness. Not kidding. She was a bit small - like I said, she looked SO much like Simon when we got him. He was about 40 pounds. They said she was a year, but I don't think so. Looked at her teeth, and they looked brand-spanking new. I'm guessing she is just about the age Simon was - seven months.

She was incredibly sweet and beautiful.

Kevin specifically told me before I left not to come home with any dogs. :( If I had more room, I'd have brought her home in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
"Labs are an overweight breed.." eh? hmm... I guess this guy would probably tell you that humans are an overweight breed too... ;) ;)

I totally know where you're coming from, I am at the SPCA like, 4 days a week, and it is sooo hard not to bring home at least one!

I was on a huuuuge Vizsla kick for a long time before we settled on a lab, and of course a 10 month old showed up at the shelter!! He was BEAUTIFUL and I totally fell in love instantly. Broke my heart not to adopt him, but he went fast, so I guess it worked out!

I feel guilty every time I walk through those doors that I am not adopting, but getting a brand new puppy from a breeder who never has and never will know a day without love, while these dogs are waiting patiently for someone to love them, sometimes for the first time in their lives.

If I was in a position to adopt, I totally would! Hopefully after raising the puppy our next dog can be a rescue! :)

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I just popped in again to see how your day went Connie. You made a difference. :)

Your Flattie girl sounds like a peach...sure you don't have room for a third?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Connie, I don't always reply to your posts but I read every single one of them. Every single one. With pleasure. With curiosity and delight.

Now. Before you and Kevin get one more year older, GET YOURSELF A FLATTIE. You know the ropes of things now, you have earned the educated right to have one. Maybe some more research about Flats would make you feel more comfortable, but you have an almost prurient itch for one. Satisfy that and show the dog!

You are on about Flats like I was about beagles before I got my first.

Don't go for an "almost" or a "lookalike". You love the breed, you can excel with one I have no doubt.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Paddysmom said:
Now. Before you and Kevin get one more year older, GET YOURSELF A FLATTIE.
I second that motion! (Can you tell I'm the 'bad' influence in my relationship? How else do you think we wound up with TEN animals!) Regardless, sounds like you've done your homework on the breed, now commence flirtation mode and get Kev to get you a flattie.stat!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nance, I think you're right. I am eventually going to have to have a Flattie. :)

I met one at the show in January. A lady with a Rottie came up to me and Simon (a gorgeous Rottie...I'd like one of those too someday!) and she looked at Simon and said, "Oh, a Flattie!" She proceeded to tell me that she had a Flattie out in the van...would I like to go meet him?

Oh boy. This dog was AWESOME! He was beautiful, so friendly and rollicking, so gentle and sweet. Just a wonderful personality. And he had the most gorgeous, perfect head.

She breeds Labs and Rotts, and just happened to have acquired this Flattie. She shows him in the breed ring, I believe. Maybe in obedience as well. He was *really* something else.

Sigh.

I would love to have one, one day. But I have to admit, I suppose Kevin is right: We are stretching it with the two we have now. Our backyard is so tiny. They are only out there maybe an hour a day, and they have packed the dirt like a horse track. Not a blade of grass left. :p I just wish we had more room, and more time.

I don't know. I have a friend at the club who has seven. She manages somehow. I just can't get my head around more than two...:-\

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did it have something to do with a small yard? I don't remember that part! Yes, please post it! I always love your stories too, you know. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts