Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She just called to let me know that she is bringing home a golden retriever that she found running on a busy street when she was driving home from rock climbing. This girl is a stray dog magnet. ::) This guy has his tags on, but he's from a city about 35 minutes away, so we have called the owners and left a message and will be waiting for them to pick up their boy.

I think that I'm just going to put this poor guy in the garage - I can't handle any doggie drama today. Gosh - I hope that he's a good boy.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Re: My daughter is bringing home a stray

Aw! It's SO sweet of her to do that. I can't believe he's from 35 minutes away! Man! Wonder if he ran all that way? :eek: Poor thing!

I'm sure he'll be a good boy in the garage. :)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

I sure hope he's a good boy for you :) Pictures would be lovely :p

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Wow. He is a beautiful Golden. He's pretty stressed out though - won't drink any water, and obviously not interested in food. He'd love to meet my two, but the tension is pretty thick in the house. Between my two being WAY excited, and Cody (the name on his tag) being scared, I don't think that it would be a good idea.

He has an oval tag on his collar that says National ID number and that he's been vaccinated for rabies. Does that oval tag sound familiar to anyone? He's not licensed in our city so I am hesitant to take him to the local shelter. I am going to call an all breed no kill shelter to see if they could take him in tonight. They're located inbetween our two cities, so it would be more convenient for his owners, who still haven't called. :-\

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

Maybe his owners are out of town?

Abby and Molly's rabies tags are oval and sort of a goldish color...you can see part of it in this picture (the color is sorta worn):

...it's hanging behind Molly's ID tag

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

Oh wow I hope the owners claim him. If he is 35 miles from home I bet he is scared and wondering what is going on. Hopefully they will call and everything will be ok.

Tal's rabies tag is also the yellow orange color but alot of the color is gone now...

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well I was just going to post that we were taking him to the shelter near his home, but I was interrupted by the phone...and Cody's parents are on their way over! Whew! I didn't have any place for him to stay tomorrow and I was trying to get him closer to home, but getting him HOME is the best possible outcome!

I'll try to get a picture before they arrive because he is the biggest golden that I have ever seen. His head is huge, his feet are huge. It's almost like he is mixed with a Great Pyrenees or something. He's a great dog and I'm so glad that he's going home to his family tonight!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Oh, I'm so glad too! Bless you guys for getting him back home!

So how did he get there? Did he just get loose? What happened?

I'm so glad they're coming. I felt so bad for him when you were saying how stressed he seemed. :(

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well...Cody is going to grandma & grandpa's tonight because they are dogsitting while Cody's family is on vacation. He's been gone since last night! They can't figure out how he got out, but looking at the size of him, over the fence is definitely a possibility. My daughter was on their street, but they were out of the house looking for him. Too bad that they hadn't put up any signs - she could have found them that way. Anyway, I love a happy ending. :)

Everyone is happy that Cody is going home! (Sorry that his eye looks weird - it looked quite normal in real life)

His paws are as big as my daughter's hands!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Who's the girl in the red shirt?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh goodness!! I am so glad he found his way home. He is GORGEOUS!

Seems like I hear a lot of those kinds of stories...family on vacation, dogsitter accidentally lets dog out, or dog escapes...

Well at any rate, hugs to your daughter for doing the right thing by him!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jzgrlduff said:
Who's the girl in the red shirt?
That's my other daughter. :) I have three! Buddy is our boy so that dad isn't completely surrounded by girls. lol.

He is GORGEOUS!
I know. I was soooo tempted to keep him if no one called. But I knew that they would call because he was obviously someone's beloved pet. His grammy told me that he was six years old, and that her daughter brought him home to help with the pain of losing her first pregnancy due to a miscarriage. He's her baby. I have to tell you - this is the only reason that I prefer to kennel our dogs if one of the girls can't stay home with them. I always worry about them getting out of someone's yard and not being able to find their way home.

Btw, he is a pure golden - no mix. I still can't believe how big he was. He made Buddy look like a string bean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts