Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a letter on my desk this morning from my boss. We all got one.

"As you may already be aware there is a plan to reduce production hours in Branchburg in response to the downturn in the market. The factory will be idle or at least operating with minimal staffing during the following periods :

And then it goes on to list one week each month for the rest of the year that they will be shutting down the line. Bottom line is, we will all need to take vacation time during those periods - 28 days total. I only have 22 days left. :eek: Oh well, I don't mind, I'm thrilled to have a job and not take a pay cut *knock on wood*. My drama-queen co-worker was whining about it in our 8:30 meeting and I wanted to reach over and slap her.

SO! The weeks in April and May that we have off should be beautiful weather! I'm looking forward to it. :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
We just got notice this week that we are having a salary freeze, but that there are no plans for lay-offs. I agree with you...I would MUCH rather have my job!

I'm amazed at people complaining that we won't be getting raises or bonuses for awhile.

Enjoy your extra time off!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We just got notice this week that we are having a salary freeze, but that there are no plans for lay-offs. I agree with you...I would MUCH rather have my job!

I'm amazed at people complaining that we won't be getting raises or bonuses for awhile.

Enjoy your extra time off!
Same here, and yes it's amazing how many people whine and complain about it. I'm so grateful to still have a job. Many people don't now. We are very lucky.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Our operations in AZ were told last month that they would be required to take one week off each quarter without pay. Can't use vacation time for that time off. They have the option of deciding when to take their 5 days each quarter. It is a salary cut, but better than some getting laid off.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a salary cut, but better than some getting laid off.
Hey, I didn't think of it that way. I guess it will be a salary cut in the long run. Most people don't have 28 days to take and will have to take unpaid days!! Sneaky sneaky!

Whiny co-working was bitching because she's a car-race freak and she already has all the races scheduled as vacation time and it won't coincide with our forced time. Awwww, poor smurfing baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *@^#&*[email protected]#^!*(@^#!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm glad you still have a job too! My dad's company has been making them take so many weeks off too, then he only worked half-days for a few months, but they seem to be on track again now.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It appears that Kodak will be going down soon (our #1 competitor) which is good news for us, bad news for them. Their graphics division only....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yea, and they were decent enough to use the weeks where holidays fall, wherever possible. That will save us some vacation / unpaid days...

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Our Co just this morning went around and gave head-chopping news. I've survived. I think. Very scary.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really, Dan? Did anyone see it coming? I hope EC got hit? :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know what? I apoligize about the EC comment. I feel bad now, knowing what people are going through. I don't want anyone to get laid off. :(

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I actually don't know about EC. She's not in today.....

I did ask NewBossLady if everyone who IS being showed the door has been informed. Her reply: To the best of my knowledge.

EC is set to retire in a handful of years. Wonder if they'd snip her now, looking to save the bux on her pension? The one guy from our building who was let go is also a 60-something. I feel so bad for him; he's going to have a tough time out there.

Even as much of a PITA as EC can be, I don't wish this on her.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts