Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discovering online that Comcast claims they will service my address... I called them on the phone today. They will have a contractor come out and survey. They said if the house is within 300 feet of the road, it will be free service (just hook me up). However, I know that the house is at least 500 feet from the road... and the service rep was very nice and told me that they WILL service me... but there is a charge to hookup from the road if we are that far off. I expected that... but I'm still thrilled that they will do it. It takes 3 to 4 weeks for the contract crew to survey and get back with the office folks etc... but I'm a bit excited that I may leap into the 21st century and get off dialup... (I cannot get DSL... I could get Satellite but that is WAY too expensive). Just keeping my fingers crossed that the initial link up isn't too expensive.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Sorry, that's crap. Ron and Yvonne were too far off the road. Time Warner had to put in one with some kind of a booster at the neighbors then run the line to R&Y's. Total charge = $0. Since we are in their service area, they are required to offer us service.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Be prepared. When they wanted to get Comcast Business Class at my old office, the hookup cost was $5,000! :eek: They were 'too far from the nearest connection' and lines had to be run from the road to the office.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
even when nobody back by us has it? It seems reasonable to me to pay something to run a line back there? Maybe Comcast is different from Warner? I dunno. All I know is I want OFF DIALUP. I can't even download the virus protection for my PC anymore because the file sizes are too big. It's a real PITA.

Keeping my fingers crossed they can do it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope, I can't get bellsouth, att, not even earthlink DSL (and I currently use Earthlink). No DSL available. My only hope for high speed internet is cable.

I may be doomed to serve the dialup dinosaur forever :(

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
What can I say? when we moved - we were told I could get verizon phone, DSL and dish network. Within 1/2 hr they called me back to tell me there were no DSL hubs available out there - and that my only hope was if someone moved - or died. (Direct quote) We ended up having to get Verizon Wireless MiFi - it works great but is pricey!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.