Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a chocolate Lab named Rupert who's just over a year old. He's definitely on the lighter side of the chocolate spectrum, more of a cocoa powder color than a topsoil color.

However, the last few months, his belly, guard hair on his rear legs, and bears have all been lightening significantly. Not quite gray, but a very light blond color. Kinda like a light to medium yellow Lab color. Everytime I turn around I swear his beard is getting yellower.

My camera crapped out on me, so I don't have a pic, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Basically, I want to know if this is something I should worry about.

He is happy, healthy, and muscular besides that, so it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. But, I'm mildly concerned nonetheless.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's dead undercoat, he's begining to blow coat. Give him a nice massage in a warm bath and/or brush him daily with an undercoat rake and he should be just fine :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is he began turning blond long before he ostensibly would blow his coat. And I just bathed him last night.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I know Jo gets "highlights"... and Indy turns lighter in the sun (kinda how my hair turns if I get too much sun, it bleaches out)..:confused:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My black lab used to have chocolate highlights, depending on the way the sun was hitting her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts