Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in his BED!

He's fine. They looked it up online and it said to seek medical attention if you suspect you'd been bitten so they went to the hospital. He's got antibiotics and is just to keep an eye on it.

They had the baby in bed with them at the time and he had just passed her off to his wife. Thank goodness it got him and not the little one.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
That is scary stuff Melis - glad he found out in time! Glad the baby is safe - what are they gonna do about the house - is it probable it's only one - and if not, now what?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is scary stuff Melis - glad he found out in time! Glad the baby is safe - what are they gonna do about the house - is it probable it's only one - and if not, now what?

He's having someone come out to treat the house.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Did he see the spider bite him? Do those things scurry away fast? I mean.. what if it bites you and you swat it like you would any other but don't realize it's a recluse because you didn't look until after you swatted?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay.. breathe.. nono.. i'm fine..

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He actually ended up with the spider. He thinks it may have gotten him twice. He felt something on his side/chest and swatted at it, then saw a leg. Then he felt something on his back and Crystal swatted at it. Sucker kept scurrying without some of its legs!

The ER doc said "Cool, you brought it with you!"

I don't know what you do if you don't actually see it. And then I wondered, how do you know you've been bitten? Can you feel it bite you? The whole thing gives me the shivers.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Thank God they're OK. Those spiders are nasty! A guy that I know was recently bit in the back and had to be hospitalized for infection, days later. Be sure to tell him to keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
He's having someone come out to treat the house.
He may have to have it done several times. One of my friends has brown recluses in his house, and the guy (who is his brother-in-law and isn't charging him, so I don't think he's trying to rip him off) told him that it usually takes two or three sprayings over the course of several months.

For years, my parents never saw spiders around their house. Once dad retired a few weeks ago and started doing more work around the house (tearing down old deck, removing hot tub, etc.) he found about 5 black widows. They say they're extremely territorial, so we're guessing they were taking care of the other spiders. I told dad to keep them. I'd rather have black widows than brown recluses.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He plans to have it treated quarterly from now on. Do you think he should do it more often in the beginning, now that he's seen one, Nick?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
He plans to have it treated quarterly from now on. Do you think he should do it more often in the beginning, now that he's seen one, Nick?
I'll call my friend to see what they do, but that sounds like what they're doing. It seems like its every few months when his wife and son head out to one of the grandparents for the night while they spray the house (no so much for the spray, but because they are more aggressive after spraying).

They must have a house nearby that is absolutely infested with them, and my money is on the rental next door.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yikes! I was bit by one when I was 2 according to my mom. I think if it's caught early it's pretty easy to treat but don't let it go it can get really nasty. Hopefully they can get rid of them.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
**shivers**

I've saw a black widow when I first moved in here; out by the water faucet. I think granddaddy long legs are good for eating other spiders, too.

Glad your bro and family is ok.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
If it were me, I'm afraid the baby would have been thrown from the bed! EEEEEEEAK!

Glad he got to the hospital quickly!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Most times folks don't know they bitten till they get the infection and the flesh starts to rot.

I see a lot of Black Widows, they at least are not agressive unless you really bother them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts