Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Charlie in for his quarterly "butt squeezing." Nothing like the smell in the car on the drive home after that routine. :p

While he was there, I had them do his annual Heartworm test. The good news? No heartworm.

The bad news? He has Lyme Disease - subclinical so it's treatable. I bet that's why he was sick a few months ago and the emergency vet chalked it up to an intestinal virus. He was vomiting for no reason. So, now he is on Doxycycline Hyclate for 3 weeks to try to knock the bacterial infection out.

I never saw a tick on him last year so it must have been a small one that I missed. We're going to take Daisy in for a test just in case.

Keep the Big Brown Butthead in your thoughts and prayers that we can knock this thing.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oh Charlie. :-\ You get better now and don't scare your mom and dad anymore. Hope it is out of his system soon, with no more symptoms. :-* to the Big Brown Butthead (love his tag!)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Mark, I don't know if you know, but Lyme is carried by the deer tick, much smaller than a wood tick and harder to see. I had it in 1999 and caught it quickly. Had pulled a deer tick out of my head a couple weeks before. Wife said I looked like poop and tired, my neck also itched at the spot. See looked and I had the round red rash. Called the Doc and they had me come right in, no waiting. Got the anti-biotics and caught it quick.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Sorry Mark, at least it was caught early and the Doxy will do its job.
He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
delmonico said:
Mark, I don't know if you know, but Lyme is carried by the deer tick, much smaller than a wood tick and harder to see. I had it in 1999 and caught it quickly. Had pulled a deer tick out of my head a couple weeks before. Wife said I looked like poop and tired, my neck also itched at the spot. See looked and I had the round red rash. Called the Doc and they had me come right in, no waiting. Got the anti-biotics and caught it quick.
Wow! Glad you discivered yours and got it treated. There are lots of deer around here - and the vet said that there has been a bunch of cases this year. Charlie should be OK. I've got to take him back in for a test in 3 to 6 months to make sure it's been knocked out of his system.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. At least you caught it early.
That is a GORGEOUS headshot of your beloved boy. :)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Poor guy - sending him good thoughts for a speedy recovery. I hope Daisy is okay too!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I hope he recovers quickly!!

He's the most handsome big butthead I've ever seen. ;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Lots of love and kisses to the Big Brown Butthead. I hope he feels better soon. Somebody at work had the same thing happen with their dog and he is doing fine.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
So glad they caught it and started treatment! Hope he's feeling better.

Do they vaccinate for Lyme disease in your area? I know this is optional and not everywhere even offers it.
Now that I read that I want to add I'm not asking this as a criticism, just wondering if it's an option where you are, or if your vet has recommended it. I just got my guys vaccinated for Lyme disease this past visit and it seemed like the vet was kind of take it or leave it, but we have a lake house in the woods and I was concerned.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CindersMyGirl said:
So glad they caught it and started treatment! Hope he's feeling better.

Do they vaccinate for Lyme disease in your area? I know this is optional and not everywhere even offers it.
Now that I read that I want to add I'm not asking this as a criticism, just wondering if it's an option where you are, or if your vet has recommended it. I just got my guys vaccinated for Lyme disease this past visit and it seemed like the vet was kind of take it or leave it, but we have a lake house in the woods and I was concerned.
Our vets have never mentioned getting vaccinated for Lyme here - didn't even know there was a vaccination. If Daisy is clear, we will see if they can vaccinate her. Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I'm glad they caught it early. The Doxycycline should clear it up. Hugs to Charlie from his friends in southwest PA.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Lyme..Kallie was just diagnosed with Lyme disease on Monday.. She too is on Doxycycline for 21 days.. Hope Charlie feels better soon...Kallie says she knows how he feels!!!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kalliesmom said:
Sorry to hear about the Lyme..Kallie was just diagnosed with Lyme disease on Monday.. She too is on Doxycycline for 21 days.. Hope Charlie feels better soon...Kallie says she knows how he feels!!!!!

Aww poor girl!!! I hope she is feeling better soon, too!!

Has she had any negative reaction to the antibiotic? The vet said it can be pretty rough on the stomach. :-X

·
Registered
539 Posts
She hasn't had any negative affects other than the usual one or two days of loose bowel..but she gets that from anything different that I give to her...She is on Rimadyl too b/c she was limping horribly on her back left leg..that is why we brought her to the vet..She had xrays the whole bit..at first the vet said it was just panostiytis(sp) which are growing pains...but I had remembered a while back she had a tick..she was on frontline and when I spoke to the vet he thought she would be fine..turns out not so much...but our vet also thinks we got it early enough that she will be just fine.. Kallie sends lots of hugs and kisses to Charlie..Hope he's all better soon!!!!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi and I love big brown buttheads! Hope Charlie does well with the tx. and all is well again real soon.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts