Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the off topic, but I'm worried sick about my little 3 year old daughter.

I get the impression that we have alot of experiened parents here, and was wondering if any of you ever had a situation lilke this.

Yesterday, my 3 year old daughter managed to put a quarter in her mouth. My wife and her brother noticed my daughter choking and gasping for air. At that time, my Brother in law made every attempt to dislodge the quarter, but instead of coming out, my daughter swallowed the quarter.
I ran home from work, and rushed her to emergency. The resident gastro suggested we remove the quarter with an edoscopy, my daughter's pediatrician is absolutely against it. He says that more damage could be done with the procedure, than the actual passing of the quarter.

My wife and I are torn and a nervous wreck.

Do you know of any 3 year that actually passed a quarter through a bowel movement? Is this possible in such a small body? (31 lbs)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I swallowed a quater when I was 3 or 4, it passed. All I remember from the whole ordeal is the bad taste it left in my mouth.
Is she ok?

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Wait, how did she get it down her tiny throat? If it can go in that way, I'm sure it can come out the other way. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rexduke said:
I swallowed a quater when I was 3 or 4, it passed. All I remember from the whole ordeal is the bad taste it left in my mouth.
Is she ok?

:)
She's fine. She's eating, running, and acting very normal. She did complain of a taste in her mouth.

At least it's good to know that other have experienced this.

I was sick all night. We almost lost our little girl. She was blue and not breathing. I thank God for having her here today.
 
2

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'd defer to my pediatrician, as long as you trust him/her. But, you want to monitor her "output" to make sure it passes.

Our lab Daisy swallowed 5 rolls (Yes, rolls) of pennies. The issue with coins is the zinc content - it can cause anemia and bleeding. So, I'd be concerned if she doesn't pass it in a few days.

I hope everything "comes out" well!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jzgrlduff said:
Wait, how did she get it down her tiny throat? If it can go in that way, I'm sure it can come out the other way. :angel:
The person that tried to get the quarter out actually stuck his fingers in her throat to attempt to dislodge it. At that point it went down instead of out.

He's a teenager, and didn't know about the heimlech. I believe he saved my daughter's life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
We almost lost our little girl. She was blue and not breathing.
Oh my gosh Anthony, how scary! :(
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
wow that must of been scary, :eek: Mine was stuck for a scecond in my throat, I remember having to swallow really hard to get it down.
I'll bet she'll think twice before putting money near her mouth again. Don't tell her she will poop it out, cause you could end up finding her elbow deep in her poo, not that I did that or anyhting. :-[ :p :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
Oh my GOSH (madly searching house for loose change)!!!! I hope everything 'comes out' ok! I'm sure the worst of it is over...and like someone else said; if it was able to go in---it should be able to come out.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
My son swallowed a coin when he was a year old. We called our local nurse line and they just said to wait it out. I checked every dirty diaper until I found it. Although, I do think it was a nickel, which is smaller than a quarter.

I would listen to your ped. as long as you trust him. I bet it will pass- Is she toilet trained?? If she is, it may be harder to spot the quarter when it comes out.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I remember having swallowed a dime.....

If the pediatrician feels she will pass it, then there shouldn't be any problem. But with the size of a quarter....maybe ask the pediatrician if there is any medicine for toddlers that might help her pass it more easily?

Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,414 Posts
I remember swallowing coins all the time as a kid. How young I do not remember. *twitching* As far as I know I turned out *twitching* alright....*twitching*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Just now seeing this....I feel your pain...my 15 year old son with Down's Syndrome swallowed an electrical wingnut..(last year)..he did not know what it was, told me it was a toy....well I was thankful at the time that he told me, and that he wasn't in any breathing distress....but took him to the emergency room for a x-ray...when we found out what it was we were told it probably would not pass, so he would have to be put under to have it removed by this time it was late at night, so we ended up in the emergency room all night before they removed it in the early morning. Never had a problem with him putting stuff in his mouth when he was young...hopefully he learned his lesson.
Not sure what advice to give, but if you don't see it soon I would go back for another x-ray....
If it's not the kids it's the dogs.....
Hang in there!
Debbie
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top