Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Poodle Rant.
This year it only took about 23 seconds for the announcer to mention that the Poodle cut is to protect the joints from cold water while retrieving. If they are going to insist that the poodle is a retriever then move it to the sporting group. I wonder if they have poodle field trials.
I actually think poodles are nice looking dogs when the fur is allowed to grow out naturally. It's when they groom them for "retrieving" that drives me nuts.
That standard black poodle that won last night hardly resembled a dog but rather some alien life form you might see on Star Trek.
When it moved to push that bushy "Fro" away from it's face all you could see was the white around its eyes and its teeth. That made it appear even more alien.
I wish they would take that poodle and a Lab out back and let them do a cold water retrieve then bring them back into the ring to be judged.
Now tonight we get to see the toy poodle and they are even more frightening.
That's my 2009 poodle rant.

My Lab Rant.
Tonight we also get to see another Lab that apparently will not "meet the breed standard". Let's see, that will be the 133rd time a Lab won't even win the sporting group. To me that just discredits the whole judging process.
OK, that's my 2009 Lab rant.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Here is one of my rants. Why is the Elkhound in the hound group and the Keeshond in the non-sporting group? For lack of a "U"?

And - why is the Boston Terrier in non-sporting? Wouldn't that breed fit more appropriately into the terrier group?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And - why is the Boston Terrier in non-sporting?
"Common" names are misleading. I heard them say last night in the Non-Sporting group that the Tibetan Spaniel is from Tibet but it's not a Spaniel.
I also heard mention that the ACK might expand from seven groups to ten. Maybe they will get things sorted out appropriately, and move the Poodle into the Sporting Group. :laugh:
The AKC also currently has a Miscellaneous group. I was wondering where the other two main coonhounds were and there they are, the Bluetick and the Redbone. Also included is the Xoloitzcuintli. I guess they'll recognize that breed when they figure out how to pronounce it.
They have 11 dogs in the Miscellaneous Group:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/miscellaneous_class.cfm

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
My neighbor, where I grew up, had two standard poodles and he used them for retrieving when he went upland bird hunting. Those were two very smart and well trained dogs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My neighbor, where I grew up, had two standard poodles and he used them for retrieving when he went upland bird hunting. Those were two very smart and well trained dogs.
Agreed they a one of the smartest breeds and can probably be trained to do just about any task. However, were the poodles you grew up knowing groomed in a "Poodle Cut"? If so I can't imagine how long it would take to re-groom one after a hunt.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Dukesdad said:
Agreed they a one of the smartest breeds and can probably be trained to do just about any task. However, were the poodles you grew up knowing groomed in a "Poodle Cut"? If so I can't imagine how long it would take to re-groom one after a hunt.
Nope, their owner kept their hair cut all one length. They got close hair cuts in summer, so by winter they had a longer coat to keep them warm.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, their owner kept their hair cut all one length. They got close hair cuts in summer, so by winter they had a longer coat to keep them warm.
As I mentioned in my OP, thats the way a poodle should look. I think they are really good looking dogs when the look like a dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts