Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had to put our 13-1/2 year-old yellow labby girl to sleep on 3/30/07 (cancer).

Now my Chocolate labby-boy has the blues (he may have a touch of some other breed but Vet said he was 90% lab).

He seemed to perk up when we had family over during Easter but this week he's back to just laying around. I rescued him when he was about 1-1/2 years old and she was 5.

The only experience I have with this is over 10 years ago -- when my yellow labby was about 2, our older male mutt passed on. She seemed to mourn 3-4 days and then she got over it.

But this time around my Chocolate boy is taking much longer to get over her passing.

I didn't expect this from him because he was the alpha and always looking to be the center of attention. However, he clearly adored her and when she got sick he was very tender with her.

I don't know if he's responding to me -- I was devasted the first 5 days and crying on and off after she passed. But now I'm moving into acceptance. Problem is -- the boy is not. We have a fenced acre and she's buried in the far corner -- he refuses to go near that part of the yard (even though we did NOT let him see where we buried her - as per the vet's advice).

He perks up when hubby comes home from work but then he's back to his bluesy self after a half hour. He's not interested in playing or roaming the yard as usual. He goes out, does his business and comes right back in.

I got him fresh beef bones from the butcher -- he was interested the first day for maybe a couple of hours, now he ignores the bone.

I guess my question is -- how long can I expect him to be so sad?

Also - how soon should I consider getting another dog? I'd hate to rush into something over my grief and/or the grief my boy.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Sorry about the loss of your girl. I don't have much useful advice as I've not been there but I'm sure you will know when your ready for another dog. Everybody heals in their own way some people it helps to have another dog around some it just hurts worse.
Run free sweet girl :angel:

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. Our Yeller mourned for Jordan after we lost her too. It was rough watching her go through that, she lost about 10 lbs as well. It's sad for everyone involved.

I don't know what to tell you with respect to when is the right time for another puppy. If it feels right to you today, tomorrow, next month, go with that. I waited a month, but only cause I wanted to find the right breeder.

Do you have any neighbours with dogs? He might benefit from spending some time with them maybe.

Good luck. I hope everyone stops hurting soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts.

I raised her from a 12 week old puppy -- after nealy 14 years I feel I've lost a child. It's devstating.

I forgot to mention that -- although my Chocoltae male was getting some white on his muzzle, we noticed that there has been a lot more white hair since she died a little over 10 days ago. I wonder if the stress on him caused this.

He's such a macho top dog I'm amazed he's taking this so hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your babies are gorgeous.

About neighbor dogs -- that's another thing. We do have two next door. One is
very yong, very active.

He loves to play with them. We let them over for a visit - he was uninterested. He went to sniff hello then turned around and came back in the house.

The other dogs also looked sad & not interested in playing. As if they also knew she was gone.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I can relate. :(

When we had to put Tango (yellow lab) down at the age of 10, Sammy (rottie mix) moped around for 2-3 weeks until we brought Tucker (black lab) home at 12 weeks. Sammy seemed to perk back up after that.

When we had to put Sammy down 2 years ago, Tucker did the same thing. We brought Frankie home about a month later and Tuck was happy again.

Yep, I definitely believe that dogs grieve. It's a really sad thing to witness.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your girl. It's so hard. :'(

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss! Hope your boy feels better soon, but they sure do mourn just like us. :(

I hope you can add another puppy or dog soon.

Hugs.

...be vewy, vewy quiet...i'm hunting wabbit!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
i'm so so sorry for your loss.

we went through the same thing last fall when we lost our golden girl cody. theo our yellow lab was almost 2 and had never known life without cody and he was so lost without her, it truly compounded our sadness and grieving. he moped around looking so sad and searching for places she used to be, it was so heartbreaking. i think theo moped around for a good week or so. then he slowly got into new routines, and was ok. then he really enjoyed being our crown prince spoiled only doggie too!

i think everyone's different with how soon you should get another dog. for us, we so missed being a 2 doggie home, that we decided to get another golden pup and started our search a couple months afterwards. and we just brought home an 8 wk old pup 2 weeks ago and theo is having a great time being a big brother.

good luck and hugs to you and your family, esp your chocolate boy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone.

I am concerned because I just took him for a walk on the leash thinking it would cheer him up and he was suddenly very-very hyper. He barked at a passing car - something he's never done.

My dogs spent most of their play time in my yard which is in itself over a half acre of space. But I would occasionally walk them -- usually together. Maybe that's why he was so hyper - she wasn't with us?

I had to use the sit command to get him to calm down -- the walk back home was okay, he calmed down, did not bark at any other passing cars, but overall he's not his usual self.

We've made a point of keeping his routine as regular as possible but the truth is they did everything together so the routine is not "rountine" for him.

I'm thinking I should wait till he's more himself before I introduce a puppy.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. Dogs are very adaptable. It's clear his routine is shaken up since his buddy is gone.

I would say that if YOU and your family are ready to bring in another dog, do it. Your boy will probably welcome the change from missing his friend.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dogs grieve

When Sammy died Maddie went into mourning - we all did - but Maddie missed her brother so bad that we decided to take her to a lab rescue adoption day to remind her of how "awful" youngsters could be - little did we knwo she would fall in love with Hannah who was meant to be her forever sister and we would end up adopting Hannah only 20 days after Sammy died.

Only you and your family will know when the time is right - I remember driving home from the adoption day with Hannah and Maddie in the back of the car and a pit in my stomach wondering what the heck did I just do - I don't want another dog - I want Sammy back.

But Maddie didnlt care what we thought we wanted - she knew what she needed and more importantly, in the end I think she knew what we needed - and she only had 5 months to find her replacement before cancer took her life too

Kate

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
When we had to put Pepper down Hap morned so much (2 months and 10 pounds) we got Katie he needed a friend. That snapped him out of his grief within 48 hours. He would still sleep in Peppers spots but he accepted her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts