Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer, we're driving out to California to visit family. We've alloted four days for driving out there and back. In reality, it should only take less than 3 days. We want to take the boys to see things around the country though (for example, we're making a detour to go see the Grand Canyon).

Does anyone know of any must see-do things along this way? We're driving up to Memphis and will be on I-40 until we get to the LA area so we're up to anything nearby I-40. Here's a link to the map on Mapquest: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-6ze7

I know my boys are wanting to see some Cowboy and Indian things while traveling through Oklahoma. :) My two are very interested in science (nature especially) and history. They also like the fun stuff so we do plan on visiting Disneyland, the Pacific Ocean, Universal, Lego Land, and San Diego Zoo while there (we'll be there for two weeks). A few days of that two weeks will be spent at Lake Havasu (4th of July weekend) at my husband's grandparent's vacation home so anything close to there is welcome also. :)

I don't relish the idea of being in the car for 8 days (round trip), but I'm looking forward to this trip. :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you've got plenty to see and do in that timeframe. Got room for one more? :)
Sure! Most of that stuff will be during the two weeks we're in California. We're trying to find some things to do to break up the drive some on the road. Besides, it's the first cross-country trip we've made, and I don't see us making another one soon, so we're planning 8 days on the road to explore a bit of our country. Jason has made this trip before when he was younger with his family, but it's a first for me and the boys. :)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If you wanted to take a small detour you could go to the Crater of Diamonds state park...I've always wanted to go there! It's more off I-30 from Memphis rather than I-40, though. I'd probably look at major cities on the route and then research those cities to see if there are any fun things to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts