Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy do I keep busy trying to keep things out of my puppy's mouth. Like a lot of labs, she loves to put rocks in her mouth, which I always have to remove WHEN I finally catch her. Now, with spring here, I am noticing little mushrooms in the yard and am trying not to freak out about. As soon as I see them, I dig them up. This morning I went out specifically to do a mushroom check before I let her out. Found some, and dug them up. I know these can be poisonous to dogs and I am worried she might eat some when I'm either not looking or if I'm not there to patrol (in other words, when the hubby is in charge). How do you guys deal with this? Is there something I can put on the lawn to discourage mushrooms that won't be harmful to my pup? I read that mushrooms like to grow where there is pet waste, so I always pick up after her right away. But where I am finding the mushrooms is NOT where she poops. What do I do??? I don't want to be paranoid all summer, but I don't want my puppy eating these stupid things!! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I was in your shoes last summer! Our mushrooms grew quickly in the spring, but by the time summer was in full swing, the soil got dryer, their growth diminished, and Toby was heading out of his mouthy-puppy days.

During this time last year, when I was frantic about mushrooms, I took Toby for a walk and noticed a young boy on the side of the road pulling something out of the ground. As I watched him, I saw that he had a car trailing him. I stopped to ask him what he was doing, and the sedan stopped and a woman ran across the street. I explained what I'd asked her son, and she replied with a gorgeous European accent that they were picking mushrooms. I said, "FOR WHAT??" She said with a giggle, " To eat! They are not poisonous as you Americans think. You can easily tell what is poisonous, and we don't eat those." I was totally confused, and because of her beauty, confidence, and lovely accent I felt like I was the one who was uninformed. I told her to have a good night, and I walked away shaking my head, fearing that she and her son would be seriously sick the next day.

Perhaps someone else can shed more light on the subject! I still wouldn't eat one out of the ground around my house for a million dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
I was in the same boat last year too; for some reason this year we haven't had any in the yard.
I did the same "mushroom" walk around the yard & constantly looking over Bailey's shoulder. I know she found a couple that I had missed, but I seemed to catch her playing with them in her mouth before she would eat them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Bailey24 said:
I was in the same boat last year too; for some reason this year we haven't had any in the yard.
I did the same "mushroom" walk around the yard & constantly looking over Bailey's shoulder. I know she found a couple that I had missed, but I seemed to catch her playing with them in her mouth before she would eat them.
This is exactly what I would have said and isn't it funny that both our dogs are named Bailey? ;D
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top