Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loooove going to my local pet store and buying toys/nylabones, etc. for the 3 of them, but it's just too **** expensive to buy 3 of everything. Those of you with multiples, what do you to keep your pups entertained as far as toys go?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We just buy one of everything, they're both going to grab and tug the same toy anyway :) They recently got a new toy that's a quick favorite - it's a 2' long flat cloth quilted bone, with a nylon trim so it doesn't rip easily. They LOVE to each grab an end and tug on it, and it's held up really well. The other thing they really like I see at agility trials a lot, it's long strips of fleece, braided together with a handle at each end. Ours is a little frayed now, but they still love it and again it holds up well to the abuse.

Tuff Enuff Dog Toys, Toys | Pet Solutions

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's long strips of fleece, braided together with a handle at each end.
We have that, Jess. I recall seeing it recently, all muddied up in the yard after the snow melt.
I can't buy just one, they know. The other 2 will stalk me until I pull another 2 whatevers out of the bag!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Amy, whatever I buy Willy takes it from Libby, doesn't matter how many, he ends up with them all at first. I gave up and started going to goodwill and buy stuffed animals for a quarter or fifty cents, since he unstuffs everything. Sometimes you can find real dog toys too. I figure if he's going to ruin them, they may as well be cheap.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have to buy 3 toys too, but I get 3 different things. They end of switching around, so everyone gets to play with 3 new toys. For stuffies, I get the cheapest ones I can find, like at Big Lots. All stuffies come to a quick end whether they cost 1.99 or 6.99! lol

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
If you stopped buying 3 of everything (and toys just "showed up" without specifically giving them to anyone), wouldn't they eventually figure it out? Bauer and Lucy (French Bulldog) figure it out on their own. Bauer doesn't like big stuffies, so Lucy plays with all of those. Bauer loves little stuffies and will chew on them until they are soggy and disgusting, after that Lucy won't play with them. Sometimes she will hide them in places that he can't fit (under the couch in the living room, behind my desk, etc.). Lucy doesn't like Nylabones or marrow bones, so Bauer takes all of those. Kongs and other chew toys they both play with.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mine all know too unless it is a birthday - then they somehow know the difference and that the gift is for that special day. We shop at pet edge in bulk at times and store in a box for later. If we are out and find a toy that we like we will purchase and save for a special occasion xmas, easter etc. or just throw it in the mix when they are all outside.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Those that buy multiples - do yours all play with their own toys? Jake and Charlotte are never playing with two toys, it's always one at a time. They either tug or chase or play keep away or beg to play fetch. Always one toy, they take turns carrying - never two. So each of your dogs grabs their "own" toys? This is fascinating :)

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Regarding the long strips of fleece, i use a similar toy. I cut up the legs on a pair a jeans so it is about a foot long (the whole of the leg so you have a sort of tube, if you know what i mean...) sew up the ends and just let them play with it, they retrieve it, play tug with it and cuddle up to it and you can throw it in the washing machine. We call it the pancake...not sure why. One of our local supermarkets sells some really cheap jeans for about £3 ($5), if i need some new pancakes i just by the biggest pair I can find, they last for ages!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I sure can't afford 4 of everything so I buy one toy at a time and throw it on the floor when noone is looking. First come, first served! They will all steal it right away from each other then the novelty wears off and they'll each play with it later. Our girls aren't really into toys so the boys usually get the toys and play tug of war. Now if it's an antler, I have to buy multiples!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
For some reason it doesn't matter whether I buy two toys or one. Somehow only one is popular and they'll "share" it (e.g. play bitely face and tug over it) regardless. If it's a two-toy day, they might notice the other one later. So I don't worry about equal treatment with toys - just treats and attention.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The best toy in my opinion is the King Kong toy. It's about generally 20 dollars for one of the medium ones I think, but it i definetly worth the money. Trust me-- It's lasted over three Labs and multiple run overs by the lawn mower.(the reason it got ran over was because it got hidden in the leaves and grass, but if you pick it up every time you play with it you'll be fine) :) Hope all works out well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts