Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/

May 1, 2007

Pet Food Recall Update: The recent pet food recall, which started on March 16, 2007, has turned out to be the largest pet food recall in U.S. history. Although most of the contaminated pet food has been taken off the shelves, pet owners are reminded to remain vigilant by checking the FDA website (http://www.fda.gov) for the latest information on expanded manufacturer recalls.

Recalled pet foods appear to have been contaminated by at least four adulterants, including melamine, cyanuric acid, ammelide, and ammeline. The current hypothesis is that, although these contaminants are not very toxic individually, their potency appears to be increased when they are present together. Crystals recovered from urine have been shown to be composed of 30% melamine and 70% cyanuric acid.

The DCPAH Toxicology Section is now ready to accept samples of food (10 g), kidney (10 g), and urine (2 mL) for qualitative determination of melamine by GC/MS. The cost will be $150 per sample. We are continuing our work on a quantitative method for melamine by LC-MS/MS and on methods for identification of cyanuric acid, ammelide, and ammeline. Please use the toxicology submission form (Tox Form PDF) and indicate Melamine in the "Other Requests" section of the form.

We will update our website as new diagnostic tools become available

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Interesting.

I learned this week that DH's cousin is one of the scientists here in Ontario studying this recall and they were the ones that proved it was in the human food chain. Or so his aunt says. LOL. I'm going to pick his brain next time I see him. He lives in the same city as we do, but he's swamped. Apparently he's traveling to the US with their findings.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
You know, the owners of the pets shouldn't have to be paying for these tests themselves, the burden should be on all those responsible for the tainted food. :mad:

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
You know, the owners of the pets shouldn't have to be paying for these tests themselves, the burden should be on all those responsible for the tainted food. :mad:
That's true! I never even thought of that. I wonder if any of the dog food companies would pay for testing??

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure the dog food companies have already done their own testing.

I was thinking this might be good for someone who has suspicions but whose food has not yet been recalled. I have a case of Chicken Soup adult that I'm not feeding even though it has not been recalled. It contains the exact same ingredients of the CS puppy formula. If you remember a few weeks back Murray was having some urinary issues. I don't know if it is related to the food or not so I'm not taking any chances. Now if Murray was very ill, you can bet I'd be sending a sample to be tested. As it is, it's cheaper for me to throw away the food than to send it in for testing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts