Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are still on Cloud 9 (right next to Mary herself) after seeing "Mary Poppins" on Broadway last night.

Was a perfect day (no practically about it). Weather was unbelievably mild; traffic into the city was fine.

Ate at Planet Hollywood. The girls GUSHED over the handprints of the Jonas Brothers, putting their fingers in the impressions again and again and skweeling that they weren't going to wash for a MONTH!!

Off to the show. Spit-spot.

I had asked for the best seats possible. Was surprised to be led to the Mezzanine, stage right. View was good -- but I certainly wouldn't have qualified them as the BEST.... until the finale. Ah! NOW I know!!!

Anyway, it was an amazing piece of theater. The set, the songs, the cast, the magic. All incredible. By the end, the audience was ROARING with applause and leapt to its feet.

It has been a long, long time since I've felt a house just lift its spirits -- like a kite, I suppose, or a flying brelly -- into space like that.

If you can manage (tix are tony, we were there on a half-price promo), and are even mildly interested, GO!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Re: MP in NYC -- An Supercali Jolly Holiday

Glad you enjoyed it! You didn't take any pics of the girls in the city? I wanna see!! :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Did you guys see Cam's new siggy? LOL!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Oh.

Sorry.
*snicker snicker*

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was surprised -- any maybe I shouldn't have been -- at how people today seem to have no idea how to behave in a theater. First off, despite the warnings that no cameras are allowed in the house, there were numerous ones. Cellphone cameras. Digital cameras. Apparently, the thing to do while waiting for the curtain is to take repeated pictures of yourself and whomever you're attending the show with, holding the camera at arm's length, giggling uncontrollably, and hitting the shutter. And again. And again.

Then, while the show is on, apparently, it okay to open your cell phone and use the light to read the program, spilling the light on those in the nine seats around you. Apparently, though, when done enough times, an usher will thankfully come to the rescue of those nine and tell you to quit it. But only after a certain number of transgressions has proven wildly distracting already.

Then, after the break, it's okay to bring your water bottle back to your seat. And squeeze it gently during the quiet parts of the show, KRINK-KRINKling the plastic. Again and again. No usher will stop this.

Oh, and one more: Want to bring a baby, like an 8 m.o. to the theater at $62 a pop? Knowing that he/she will not see one second's worth of the performance and likely start to bellow before the 4hr show is up? Apparently that's okay, too.

My Dad, for whom going to the theater was akin to going to church (meaning, back in the day, it was a coat-and-tie affair) would be boiling mad at all this........

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
dweck said:
I was surprised -- any maybe I shouldn't have been -- at how people today seem to have no idea how to behave in a theater. First off, despite the warnings that no cameras are allowed in the house, there were numerous ones. Cellphone cameras. Digital cameras. Apparently, the thing to do while waiting for the curtain is to take repeated pictures of yourself and whomever you're attending the show with, holding the camera at arm's length, giggling uncontrollably, and hitting the shutter. And again. And again.

Then, while the show is on, apparently, it okay to open your cell phone and use the light to read the program, spilling the light on those in the nine seats around you. Apparently, though, when done enough times, an usher will thankfully come to the rescue of those nine and tell you to quit it. But only after a certain number of transgressions has proven wildly distracting already.

Then, after the break, it's okay to bring your water bottle back to your seat. And squeeze it gently during the quiet parts of the show, KRINK-KRINKling the plastic. Again and again. No usher will stop this.

Oh, and one more: Want to bring a baby, like an 8 m.o. to the theater at $62 a pop? Knowing that he/she will not see one second's worth of the performance and likely start to bellow before the 4hr show is up? Apparently that's okay, too.

My Dad, for whom going to the theater was akin to going to church (meaning, back in the day, it was a coat-and-tie affair) would be boiling mad at all this........
I'd be boiling mad too and maybe talk to the manager. I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
dweck said:

I know what you mean Dan. It's the same way at hockey games at MSG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.