Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer, we'll be moving with two 4-year old female labs. They've been great dogs at our current home, where they've lived since they were puppies. I'm starting to think about what we can do to ease their transition. Any suggestions on moving dogs to a new house/new yard? Here, we're on a large property and they're able to be outside a lot. There, we'll have a smaller fenced yard, so they can still go outside, but it will be a much longer and harsher winter than they're used to.

Also, we'll have a 3-day road trip to get there. My husband will be driving the truck, and I'll be in our small car with the dogs. With the back seat flipped down, there's room enough for both of them. They love riding in the car, but it's rare for them to have more than a 30 minute trip anywhere here. Any suggestions for making this work, and keeping my sanity???

Many thanks! The wisdom on these boards really helped when we first got the girls as puppies. I'm hoping you can help with this transition, too.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Henry has moved three times with me since he came home from his breeder's. I "cold-turkey"ed him each time, he went to daycare in the morning from the old house and came home in the afternoon to the new house. He was a bit clingy for the first few days after the first move but since all of our furniture and stuff was in the new house, he was fine. He is now a pro at moving and doesn't even give it a second thought. ;)

If your girls aren't used to riding in the car for long lengths of time, maybe start taking them for longer and longer road trips. Make sure you take frequent breaks too, during your Move Trip. Maybe make them frozen Kongs to occupy them as well?

Good luck with your move! :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
The pups will be fine as long as they are with you. Where is this place with harsher winters that takes three day to get to? Some of us might be there already and we can have a Labfest.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
As Labs, they will love the longer winters with more snow to play in. ;)

For the trip, as Felicia said, stop as often as you can to give them a short walk and potty break, and give them some water. Make sure that you don't leave them in the car and go to eat, because the heat will kill them in summer. Get fast food, take-out, or pack stuff you can eat at road-side rests, where the pups can be with you on leash.

Make sure they always have their collars on, with all your ID info on the tags - including the new address and phone number. That way, if (God forbid) one of them should get away from you, people can find you to get her back to you.

Get them each a new Nylabone to chew on to give them something to do. If they play well with stuffed animals, give each one a new stuffie, too, but nothing that squeaks or you will go insane.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
They will probably sleep for long periods on the drive - just make frequent enough stops so they can stretch their legs and potty. Having nylabones and stuffed frozen knogs are great ideas as well.

As for the new house - dogs are very adaptable and they don't care as much about the housing/yard as they do about their people. They will be just fine.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
you'll be fine :)
I do suggest getting them more used to the car in the meantime - make it a home away from home for them ... having excellent travellers will decrease your stress :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think Labs are usually great travellers -- or maybe travelling companions.

A couple years ago, Puff accompanied me on a 1500 mile trip to Vermont and a 1500 mile trip back to Kansas and then, a month later, an equally long trip to & from Oregon.

We stopped every 2 hours for a 10-15 minute break for peeing/pottying PLUS some fetching and exercising at Interstate highway rest areas.

Those breaks were a great help to both Puff and me. She slept quite peacefully between those breaks. And they probably contributed to my upbeat attitude.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
They'll be fine. I moved countries with my 3 & they coped ok. The only thing I did was give Jo a mild sedative the night before flying on my vets advice. As soon as they got into their new home, they spent about 1/2 hour exploring their new surroundings & then they settled down. As long as they have the usual things they're familiar with such as the same bedding, toys & food, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.