Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam and I are moving back home to St. Louis, MO from Flagstaff, AZ. Sam will be transporting all 10 animals alone This monday starting at 4am. (i have to say behind to finish school until may 12th) We will be giving the ferrets each 1mg of melatonin to ease their stress and help them sleep during the car ride. How much melatonin should I give to Apollo (56lbs) and the cats? I want them to be relaxed and calm during the trip. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
If Apollo handles traveling well I would not drug him with anything. I can't answer for your cats...I know nothing about cats :p .
Make sure Sam stops and gives Appollo a break for stretching his legs and peeing and pooping and drinking water.

How long is that drive btw?

Longest I have driven with Buck without stopping is 4 hours. He pretty much slept or looked out the window or chewed on his nylabone the whole time.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'd call the vet to find out the dosage.

I've driven ten hours with Gabby (with very frequent stops- every two hours) with drugging her. Our lake house is ten hours away and we go there several times a year. She made the trip as a ten week puppy and was fine.

If Sam has room in the car, I'd suggest crating him- or seatbelting him. The other thing to do ahead of time is to google dog parks in good stopping spots so Sam and Apollo can stretch. The drive goes a lot faster if the dog is sleeping.

And when you get to Saint Louis I can show you the dog parks!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Koko has taken 6 hour car trips and is fine as long as we that Potty breaks. My cat drove with us from California to NJ, we did not medicate her but... we had her go on car trips in the weeks leading up to the move, she was also in her crate/carrier in the car. We took lots of breaks and had a litter box in the car (ugh) for her to use.
Good luck

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
How much melatonin should I give to Apollo (56lbs) and the cats?
Please, if you don't know how much to give then you shouldn't be giving them anything.
Apollo will be fine as long as Sam stops and takes him out to pee and stretch. How long is the ride?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh goodness no! Melatonin isn't a sedative or a drug lol. What it is is a natural hormone produced in the body. Ya know that feeling when you are kinda sleepy and ya wanna go to sleep? That is your body producing melatonin. All melatonin does is make you kinda sleepy. Unlike sleeping meds, you can take melatonin and it won't affect your driving ability or make you loopy or anything. All it does is calm animals down and if they are already tired it will help them sleep (if they are wide awake, all it does is keep em relaxed) I take melatonin sometimes when I am having a hard time going to sleep. Like I said, it doesn't keep me asleep, it just puts a little extra melatonin into my system to GET me to sleep. I like using it cuz its NOT a sedative or a hardcore drug, just a natural hormone to keep everyone chill. Ya can't really OD on melatonin lol. If you give too much, all that happens is you get pretty sluggish lol. PLUS sedatives DONT work on my cats and I don't feel the need to "drug" apollo, just give him something to relax. Its kind the equivalent of drinking some nice herbal tea. Just keeps ya chill, doesn't affect your brain chemistry or anything like that. Its an excellent tool really.

BTW-the drive is 22 hours lol.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
22 hours? wow...you are going to need a lot of stop offs!

I really don't know anything about the product you are describing so I can't comment BUT I still think if Apollo travels well it is not really necessary. I think with plenty of stops and (with big emphasise on this part) plenty of exercise he should be fine.

If you still want to use the product I would ask your vet for advice in regards to dosage.

I agree that some herbal product or similar would be a good idea for the cats if they are anything like mine. I couldn't imagine listening to whaling cats for 22+ hours. :eek:

Can I ask...how are you going to deal with the cats for your period of travel? walk them on kitty leashes? I have to say, whenever I have seen anyone with a cat on leash it makes me laugh. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL I feel bad for sam. he's making this trip all alone. hehehe I still have to finish my classes before I can come home. poor sam. Yep the wailing (according to sam) is HORRIBLE. Its a NIGHTMARE traveling with cats. You have to put em on a leash and like pull up into a store parking lot and put a litter box down on the ground for them. Everyone looks at you funny and the cats are to terrified to go potty lol!

The kitties ARE leash trained though, so thats good. They go out for a 30 min walk one at a time on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (spoiled kitties!). But man on man is sammy gunna be stressed. He's gotta fit 6 ferrets, 3 cats, and a dog into a car for a 22 hour trip. luciky ferrets sleep 18 hours a day (so they won't even know whats going on lol!). But the wailing? oh god the wailing lol! We sam moved out to AZ with me from MO, he gave them a vet prescribed sedative. All it did was make them pissed off lol. They DID NOT shut up the whole ride!

Poor Sam, this is certainly gunna be an interesting trip lol

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
6 ferrets, 3 cats and a dog...sounds like a traveling zoo. :p Seriously, I feel for him. That is going to be one LONG trip. I suggest investing in some loud music!

[You have to put em on a leash and like pull up into a store parking lot and put a litter box down on the ground for them. Everyone looks at you funny and the cats are to terrified to go potty lol!
I can imagine you get some funny looks. I think I'd be one of them!

Are you putting the cats in separate cages? maybe you could fit them all in one large crate and you can have the litter box in there?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one step ahead of ya. Someone gave us a "puppy sized" crate 4 free. We are sticking the two kitties that don't fight in there (with box) and the one kitty that is agressive is going in his own carrier.

lol its gunna be madness moving with this many animals. Can you imagine what the police officer would think if he pulled Sam over to give him a ticket? he'd be all like "know sir do you know you were speeding?" and then he'd look in the back of the car and be all like "dude what the hell is one guy doing with all these animals?" lol! :D Lets hope he doesn't get pulled over lol!!!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
Ya can't really OD on melatonin lol.
You can OD on anything. People have even died from drinking too much water! Please be careful.
Also, as a woman you should be careful taking melatonin. It has been linked with increased risk of breast cancer. Just because something is herbal does not mean it is harmless.

Good luck to Sam on his long journey!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only take melatonin sparilngly. I am aware of the linkage to increased risk of breast cancer, however because I do not have a family history of breast cancer, my doctor (lol OMG I almost said my vet! doh!) advised me to take melatonin to help with my very mild insomnia. I take melatonin sparilngly.

I am sorry. I meant to say it is not super easy to OD on melatonin as it is to OD on say, a prescribed sedation pill. Sorry for not being more clear. And yes, you are right, you CAN actually OD on water, its crazy, but I actually knew someone who did (he ran marathons).

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many hours should sam let apollo our for a potty break? Like a 15 minute break every 3-4 hours? Something like that? Thanks guys. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts